Temples, Shrines, and Amusement Parks, Oh My!

During my time in Japan, I spent a ridiculous amount of time at temples, shrines, and… amusement parks. This isn’t that surprising given that my two global seminar classes were about Japanese spirituality. However, visiting religious sites proved to be a lot of fun and a worthwhile experience overall.

Every Wednesday and Thursday we would visit a new temple or shrine in and around the Kyoto area. Both types of sites are equally charming and you’ll find that they aren’t just frequented by tourists. These spaces hold both historical and cultural value that is evident in how often Japanese themselves visit. My favorite part about visiting the sites was being able to not only witness prayer but also to participate as well. I wouldn’t normally consider myself to be religious but, I did manage to purchase a protection charm here and there when I felt a connection to a particular shrine.

In the same vein, I managed to spend a lot of money when I visited Universal Studios Japan. With Sailor Moon 3D shows and Attack on Titan rides, USJ is not short of activities for anime/manga lovers. After my adventure around USJ, I found that I began to prefer USJ to Universal Studios Hollywood because it is geared more towards my love of anime. Not just that, but the rides were closer to that of Magic Mountain status than a tour ride in Hollywood. I even got to watch a full live show of my favorite anime: One Piece. The live show was absolutely fantastic, with cosplayers of every popular character running through the crowd. 

As a result of my love for USJ, my shopaholic tendencies were in full force! Everything from keychains to T-shirts to hats were now in my possession, but with... less yen to support myself with. 

Overall, temples and shrines even began to feel like amusement parks. Secret gardens, shops, and little hidden restaurants make you feel like you are living the authentic experience. In short, I don’t regret spending a single dime!


Comments


  1. I have checked the many different places where a lot of people can enjoy the Best Vacation trip along with their family.This offers them the trip to enjoy the holidays in good way where people can also eat the different varities of the food which is not easily available at one place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts