Religion in Kyoto - Post-Seminar Reflection

Hello again!

It has been about a week and a half since my program ended and a week since I returned home to San Diego; and I think now is a great time to try and collect my thoughts on the trip in its entirety.

Honestly, the entire global seminar feels like a dream to me at this point because it all went by so quickly. It's a bit sad how much I've forgotten about the trip, but when I look at all the photos I took I can see and feel things as they were in that moment, so please make sure you take lots of photos and videos!

Looking back, I made a really great group of friends. Since we were so large (about 9 people or 1/3 of our global seminar), we could always do things together. Of course the downside being that we couldn't always eat together or go places together for lack of space. Still, we had a great time in the classroom and outside of the classroom! For the entire five weeks, I never had a single day to myself which was a little tiring, but I think it was totally worth it to have fun with new friends in a new environment.

Even the little things we did like eating, studying, and walking to the convenience stores were enjoyable. We would always make excuses to see each other and hang out randomly. It was really nostalgic of my first year at UCSD, and as an incoming fourth year, that nostalgia was completely welcomed.



I'd also like to reflect on my professor, Dr. Rahimi. He was so kind and laid-back; really the perfect kind of teacher to have on this kind of trip. Rahimi really wanted us to enjoy our trip, and it showed in the amount of break time he gave us along with our fun class excursions. He was also perfect for teaching religious studies as he showed us a bit of Zen teachings through his own lifestyle.



Overall, I would kill for another week in Kyoto with all of my friends. I wish I could have gotten to know people outside of my 9 person group better. During week five, I was just beginning to get to know them more and they all seemed like really wonderful people. Still, I'm really happy about my time in Japan. Definitely having some withdrawals thinking about the people I met, the connections I made, and all the fun that was had, but maybe we can do this another time!




Comments

Popular Posts