Coming Back & Reflecting

How did I really feel about studying abroad? Honestly, I believe studying abroad was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have only good things to say about the whole experience and I am so grateful I was able to go. In the days before I left for Scotland, I was quite anxious. Studying abroad was something I had been looking forward to, but I was more nervous than excited when it was time to actually depart to Scotland. I was traveling to a new country alone and I didn’t know any of the other students in the program. What if it was nothing like I expected? In the end, I was right. It was nothing like I expected. It was better than I could have imagined.
 There was no way I could have imagined all the amazing friends I would be able to meet and the dynamic relationships we made. There was such a diverse group of people in the program which I don’t think I would have met if I didn’t go on this global seminar.  The exhausting, yet unforgettable memories of traveling to all seven cities of Scotland with them makes me smile when I think about it. There were some hardships that I didn’t expect, but the friends I made truly helped me through it all. Once again, I am so grateful to have studied abroad with these students. 
 For me, the global seminar was perfect. It fit into my graduation plan so perfectly. Since it was only one summer session long, I was able to come back for summer session 2. I still can’t believe that I got through two upper division classes while abroad. It was unlike any other class I had ever taken. First off, the class was smaller than normal with only 24 students ! This meant the class was more engaging. The entire class got closer to our professor, Dr. Christine Johnson. (She is the best!) The size of the class and the fact that we were all abroad together brought the class closer together as well. We often helped each other out and the class got along well. Secondly, we got to go on excursions every Thursday to places that correlated with the material we were studying. For my program, my favorite excursion was the overnight trip to Inverness to see dolphins. It was also more exciting when a group of us decided to stay behind in Inverness for the rest of the weekend to visit the Highlands. Thirdly, the pace of the class was much faster than even the regular summer session courses, but it was all very possible. All the necessary resources were available to help us throughout the courses. Dr. Johnson was always willing to help out so it was kind of like 24/7 office hours during the program. 
Another big reason this study abroad experience is unforgettable is due to the fact that it was my first time traveling to Europe! I have been to other countries, but not a single country in Europe. And Scotland just happened to be one of the countries I wanted to visit the most. There is such a rich history in Scotland that you can feel everywhere around you. 5 weeks in Scotland was definitely not enough and I can’t wait to go back ! 
For anyone who is debating on whether to study abroad or not, I highly recommend it. I know it sounds cliché, but it truly was an experience of a lifetime!





 <-- the best view while waiting for our train at Leuchars train station (the train station closest to St. Andrews and one we got very familiar with)
                       


It was Dr. Johnson's birthday so we surprised    her after class !!                                              -->








 <-- we had some discussions outside in the beautiful weather






St. Salvator's Quad, where our classroom was (one of the oldest parts of the university)     -->










<--- breathtaking views everywhere, such as this little spot embedded between St. Andrews Castle and the ocean

Comments

Popular Posts