Becoming Wordsworth: Back Home after the World

September 05, 2019 -- A month later since I came back home.

I participated in the Global Seminar located in Edinburgh, Scotland. We learned about Enlightenment, Romanticism, and Revolutions in our Humanities 4 and History 121 courses.

 Below Edinburgh Castle
My initial intention of going abroad was to knock out 2 Humanities courses in 5 weeks. Like who wouldn't want that? Of course, other intentions were to travel, see new cultures, get to know my professors, learn humanities in a different environment (hoping it would make it more fun), but the most prominent was to get the learning part over it. However, I never expected that the learning part of this program was one of my favorite parts.

We learned about a lot of history of the United Kingdom during the 16th Century. From Kings to Queens, murders to wars...  the best part was, most of the history that I've learned during the 5 weeks, I got to see with my own eyes.

David Hume's statue
Shiny toes, lots of rubbing lol
The excursions were so fun and helpful. They really made history come to life. We saw the Palace of Holyrood (right across the street from where we were staying!!) where James VI of Scotland resided and the floors stained with blood from Lord Darnley's murder (though some say the stains are fake.) We also visited Edinburgh Castle and saw the room James VI of Scotland was born in. I can sit here all day and tell you all the history I've learned in 5 weeks but maybe you can go abroad to Edinburgh yourself to take these classes :)

I learned a great deal in our Hum class as well. We even saw the statue and grave of one of the philosophers we were studying-- David Hume. Fun Fact: If you rub the statue's toes, it will bring you luck lol.
Anyways, I want to focus on one specific concept that we learned at the very end of our Humanities course. We studied William Wordsworth's poem, Tintern Abbey, 1798. Generally, the poem is about childhood, memories, and revisiting those memories later in the future with someone else. And the beauty of being there with someone is because you get to relive your own memories (not the same ones of course because childhood is gone... not getting too much into it), but also witness that person forming new memories of their own. It's such a beautiful and joyful sight.
Arthur's Seat-- "Once again
Do I behold these steep and lofty cliffs,
That on a wild secluded scene impress
Thoughts of more deep seclusion; and connect
The landscape with the quiet of the sky." Tintern Abbey
We went hiking up Arthur's Seat, an extinct volcano in Edinburgh right across the Palace of Holyrood. And when I was all the way at the peak: wow. I saw Edinburgh. It was beautiful. At that moment I was making memories; I was taking joy in nature. I looked around and purposely tried to take snapshots of every moment: my new friends that I hiked up there with, the clouds slowly revealing the sun, the green hills, the highs and lows of the architecture... everything.
It was my last full day in Edinburgh, and I just took the day walking around the city for the final time. Making memories, recording my feelings, the smells, the sights. It was very emotional. My intention was to hopefully come back to Edinburgh, Scotland again one day with my husband and children, relive my "childhood" memories and
watch them create their own. I want to share new memories with them. I want to see their "wow" when we get up Arthur's Seat. It's a beautiful city and I want to share its beauty and culture with my family in the future.

I became my own Wordsworth of my own Tintern Abbey. I really left my heart back in Edinburgh. I loved learning its history and culture, being amidst its people, its long walks along the cobblestones, fresh crisp air, green plains, pure rain, dusty buildings. This city really is alive and you can personally feel its heart beating. My wish for the students I went on this trip with would return again in the future with their loved ones as well! My wish for the reader is to join this wonderful program and see for yourselves. But whichever program you lean towards, become your own Wordsworth.




Comments

Popular Posts