London Adventure


One of my favorite aspects regarding the Study Abroad program I participated in was the freedom to explore. From the beginning, I knew that I wanted to go and explore London but I was unsure since I did not know anybody in the program, but I took a leap and decided that I didn’t need anybody to come with. As a shy person, who often has to practice what I order on the phone, this was a monumental step for me.

The day before my trip to London I packed clothes, some light snacks, and a portable charger. I didn’t want to bring too much since I was only there a weekend and would have to be carrying my backpack with me the whole day. Since I was lucky enough to live close to a metro station I had a far easier commute to Gare de Lyon, where I caught the Eurostar (I had bought my tickets way in advance they came out cheaper than if I would have waited!). The process to board was very straightforward and similar to that of an airport, only faster. 

The train ride to London passed by very quickly and when I arrived at King’s Cross I set off not knowing where I was going. One important thing that I did not do and recommend everyone else do, is to check the weather. I foolishly assumed it would be hot because of the heatwave we were experiencing and I was wrong. Being caught in the London rain was nothing like it was in the movies. Other than that small incident that resulted in me taking shelter in a restaurant, the weekend turned out amazing. I saw Abbey Road, the London Eye, Big Ben (sadly being repaired), Buckingham Palace, and even a rainy Waterloo ‘sunset’. 

- Kimberly Ramirez

London Eye 
Big Ben being repaired
Buckingham Palace


Buckingham Palace


First time trying fish and chips after getting caught unprepared in the rain.

Comments

Popular Posts