Revelle in London: Embracing Friendship and Discovering England in a New Perspective


            London has made a significant mark on my heart. I truly never want this trip to end, and I’ve made countless memories and friends. Although, my Global Seminar experience was met with some challenges in the beginning of the trip.

The Challenge:
My phone was stolen on the second day of our study abroad experience. I was crushed. My phone contained pictures of my family vacation which I hadn’t backed up to the iCloud, so I was devastated. Having my phone stolen was a scary experience because I questioned my security in London. Even though the beginning of my trip was off to a rocky beginning, my friends and our amazing experiences turned my trip around.

Lifelong Friends:
Firstly, I have to emphasize how wonderful my flat mates are on this trip. On day one, we instantly clicked with a love for traveling and similar senses of humor. We’ve also bonded over our family dinners throughout the trip. The five of us rotate different nights of when one person buys ingredients and makes dinner for everyone in the flat. This way, we always have time to talk with each other at the end of our day around the dining table. Also, we never have too many leftovers to overcrowd the fridge because we are cooking for each other rather than ourselves. Our immersion into our studies and living in this bustling city have sparked creativity in our cooking. We lean on each other to cook, and so we often take risks to make new things we have never tried before. Of these, we have made lasagna, steak, fajitas, and more. All of these have been from scratch! I know I have made lifelong friends here. My flat mates have made me love London even more.





Excursions:
Also, our class excursions have only augmented to my joy on this trip. In particular, my favorite excursions were Cambridge, Bath, and our attendance to a Midsummer Night’s Dream in Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre. Cambridge was cemented in an atmosphere of beauty, human discovery, and prestige. Exploring the school where Newton, Darwin, Hawking, and Plath studied was surreal. Bath was rooted in layers of Roman, medieval, and Georgian history. Its charm was unrivaled and complimented by the insurmountable art around the city. Midsummer Night’s Dream was lively and HILARIOUS! It surpassed any expectations I had before attending the theatre. The comedy, which is hundreds of years old, encompassed modern flare and wicked acting. Watching Midsummer Night’s Dream in the Globe Theatre was both grand and felt authentic. Watching the comedy after reading the play brought it to life.





My friends and excursions with Study Abroad have grounded me after I had my phone stolen. I am so in love with this city and immersed in history and culture. I can’t wait to see the other memories I’ll make in the upcoming week!

-Kayleigh Roche

Comments

Popular Posts