Day trip to Agrigento

I am so happy that the global seminar in Rome in not very study intensive. Every week, we have at least three free days to explore Rome, Italy, or even other countries. Therefore, in the fourth week, I decided to spend three days in Sicily, a large island in the south of Italy. Palermo and Agrigento are the two cities I chose to go to.

Since Sicily is an island, it is a better choice to go there by air. There is a train station near the global seminar apartment, so I took the train to the airport, and flied to Palermo, a major city in Sicily, with an hour of flight. There is a bus going from Palermo airport to downtown, which I strongly recommend if you would like to go to Palermo. In Palermo, I tried some delicious Sicilian desserts, including Sicilian Cassata and Cannoli. 
The next day, I decided to have a day trip in Agrigento, which is famous for the archaeological sites. The train to there was about an two hours. Agrigento is a small coastal town. The train station is built on the top of a hill, so from there, you can enjoy the great view of Mediterranean. Taking the bus, I eventually arrived at the archaeological site of Agrigento. The temples there are very different from the architecture in Rome because Sicily was once conquered by Greek. Therefore, the temples there are very similar to Greek temples. In addition, because Sicily is an island in the middle of the Mediterranean which had been conquered by so many different countries, architectures here are very various. In Palermo, you can find architectures that combines different styles perfectly, which absolutely worth a visit. 
By the way, the site in Agrigento is very large, and there is so little shade, so remember to put on some sunscreen before you take a visit.

The archaeological site in Agrigento is the highlight of my Sicily trip. I enjoyed it so much!

By Jiaqi Wu


Comments

Popular Posts