My Last Week In Edinburgh: the thoughts, the feels, the confusion

Toronto Pearson International Airport, 1230pm || Homebound.

I am very sleep deprived, very hungry, physically tired, and just watching the clock tick until it's time for my final flight home. So, I figured right now would be the perfect time to spill my full and raw emotions during my last week in Edinburgh.

First off, though I love this program very very much, a history course and a humanities course in 5 weeks is NO JOKE. After a couple of weeks filled with readings, essays, and TONS of information to memorize, week 5 was pretty tough. Our last paper was due on Monday, we only had Tuesday to study, then 2 finals on Wednesday. That's pretty crazy. I was numb and didn't even bother to be anxious anymore. I wanted to go home so bad and didn't want to be in Edinburgh anymore.

And at this moment, I knew I took a lot of things for granted.

Immediately after those finals, it started to hit that I only had 2.5 days to enjoy such a beautiful country without a worry. And those 2.5 days went by fast. At a blink of an eye, I was waving goodbye to my dear friends I've only known for 5 weeks and it was 3am, getting ready to go to the airport. I saw Edinburgh one final time, now I'm gone.

Whether your program is not as hard, as hard, or way harder than my program. Don't forget to zoom out of the classroom. There may be lots of work to be done (and you shouldn't neglect your studies), but don't take anything for granted! Still have fun. It's okay to miss home and family and friends, but you'll miss your program's wonderful city even more if all you think about is "getting it over with."

Here are a few tips to help make it through your difficult couple of days:

1. Don't be anxious. There is no reason to be. Our professors know that 10-weeks of material squished into 5 is completely insane. Just do everything with excellence. And make sure you get rest.

2. Force yourself to get out of your room for a study break and just walk around and grab a treat for yourself.

3. Always keep check of your attitude. If you find yourself grumbling or showing unappreciation for the city you are in, stop it at the source. Remember of how lucky you are to be on this trip.

I miss home just as much as I did before, but now I'm missing Edinburgh like crazy as well. I just can't tell if I'm glad to be going home or want to jump on a plane back to Edinburgh. My heart is in both places... I'll share more once I'm in California.

Comments

Popular Posts