Highlights of the Food in Rome

In the five weeks that I had been in Rome, there was certainly no shortage of highlights when it came to the food in Rome. I was able to get a good meal almost every time I went out to eat. I tried plenty of restaurants throughout the program, and I most certainly tried many places for gelato as well!

I made it a mission to try as many new dishes as I can while I was in Rome. I tried many types of pasta, such as bucatini, radiatori, and orecchiette (ear-shaped pasta). However, the best pasta dish that I tried was none other than the gnocchi that I had during just the second day of the program! Gnocchi is a dumpling-like pasta made from potatoes. I loved the gnocchi I had because it wasn't too salty like the dishes that some of my colleagues had. The clams and tomatoes paired well with the pasta to create a fantastic dish. I would highly recommend Grazia & Graziella if you are ever in Rome, as it is one of the best Italian restaurants in the city. The restaurant had an upbeat vibe to it and the waiters also offered us champagne as we were waiting in line to be seated!



I also have to mention the crab risotto that I tried for lunch during that day. It was my first time having it, and I was immediately amazed by the quality of the dish. The rice in a typical risotto dish is cooked in a broth, which soaks up the flavor of the broth. It was by far one of the best rice dishes I ever had. I was so excited to eat it that I forgot to take a picture!

Because the weather was consistently hot in Rome, I ate gelato several times every week. There would be times in which I would eat gelato twice in a day! Gelato is not like ice cream, as it is soft and fluffy but just as delicious! Professor Tronzo did not only blessed us with his insightful knowledge of the historical significance of Rome but he also took us to his favorite gelato shop, Giolitti, several times for free! All the gelatos I had at that place were great, but the best gelato I had was at a gelateria called Rivareno Gelato. The flavor combination I had there was yogurt (my favorite flavor hands down) and their specialty flavor called "Alice." Top that off with a chocolate drizzle and you cannot go wrong! 



All in all, there was a lot of great food that I had in Rome that I did not mention. Rome is known for its historic preservation as it should, but the food there should get just as much praise. Not only was the pasta, gelato, and pizza there great but there were also great places that I could eat whenever I needed a break from Italian food. With the program being over, I am extremely satisfied with the food in Rome and it somehow exceeded my high expectations for it.  There's no doubt that I am going to miss the city for its cuisine.

Comments

Popular Posts