French Culture Vs. American Culture


     Prior to studying abroad in Paris France, I had repeatedly heard that the “French are rude.” However, my experience and the orientations I completed provided explanations for this misconception. This common stereotype about the French I believe is rooted in cultural differences. Some of the major cultural differences I noticed were smiling and volume.
   
      In America smiling at a stranger walking down the street is polite and normal, but the French do not interpret it the same way. In France, smiling is appropriate for those with whom one is intimate with; such as, friends, family, and lovers. The French do not simply smile at anyone. I was surprised to learn just how much I smile on this trip. In fact, to better blend in with the French I would try not to smile as much.

     An additional cultural difference addressed in orientation was the comparison in volume between French and Americans. The French are much quieter and more reserved compared to Americans. I especially noticed the difference in volume at my apartment, on the metro and on Bastille day. In the U.S. my neighbors can be quite loud, but that was not the case with my neighbors in France. I only heard my neighbors on occasion and the apartment walls were thin. Secondly, I observed that there was not a lot of talking on public transportation. On the metro most people were quiet or would speak quietly to their friends with some exceptions. Finally, one of the more surprising differences in volume I noticed was on Bastille day. In the morning me and my classmates went to watch the parade. The parade was the quietest parade I have ever been too. In the states I have witnessed people cheering and or music playing, I did not hear any of this.
I enjoyed experiencing such cultural differences because I found them eye opening. It is amazing to not only learn but experience how different people on opposite sides of the world function. Living in France for a month gave me a new perspective on the world.  

Here are some pictures of my apartment room, the parade, and the fireworks on Bastille day. 




By: Esther Vineyard 

Comments

Popular Posts