Going Back Home

The last few days of the program, I noticed myself being more reflective of everything. I was still in shock that I
was actually in Scotland for five weeks but at the moment it seemed to actually only been a few days. I began to
think what life back home would be like without the people I spent most of everyday surrounded by. I did miss
home but I also wasn’t ready to go back home. I felt so stress free and independent while abroad that I wasn’t
ready to face having to go back to work and the rest of my responsibilities. I was in such a good place mentally,
physically, and emotionally that I honestly did not feel homesick surprisingly while on this trip. I had made so
many amazing memories with amazing people that I wanted to continue that. I was not the only one feeling this
way, many of my friends did as well. We would sometimes just sit together in the common area and look over
photos and videos we took on our weekend trips together and we all felt a little sad. Some of us were going
back home and others were staying to continue traveling but we all still managed to stay in contact even after
the program ended, which was the best part of all. 



Going on the plane to head back home I was pretty sad but also a bit more excited as my family and friends
back home would call and message me saying they couldn’t wait to meet up. I was starting to miss the food and
my bed but also wishing I could stay in Scotland a bit longer. Finally being back at home everything seemed so
different, the funny thing is that everything was the same. What was different was the way I saw things and felt.
The lens that I once used to see the world with completely changed to one where I saw everything with a different
set of eyes. When you have never traveled outside the country, you feel as if you are in a bubble that you have
explored every inch of. Even though you know there are other places outside of your bubble to explore you feel
so comfortable in that bubble that you find no need to step out of it. That is exactly how I felt prior to going
abroad. Once I stepped out of that bubble I realized that I want to explore every inch outside of that bubble. So
when I came back home, it is not that I didn’t want to be home but that I wanted to go out and continue to explore
more places. I now feel so motivated to step out of my comfort zone and go to places I never thought existed.
Coming back from studying abroad has taught me that there is more than what meets the eye. I love the individual
I came back as...the individual who isn't afraid to try new things and live more excitingly...the individual who now
asks herself "Where to next?"











By: Ashley Ugarteche

Comments

Popular Posts