How to Navigate Eating Abroad (when you don't like the food)


How to Navigate Eating Abroad (when you don't like the food)


I don’t like Greek food. There, I said it. I traveled to Athens and I don’t like Greek food. I’m not a fan of feta.  It’s sour, in the most unpleasant way, and its very goat-forward. And those stuffed grape leaves and spinach pies… I can’t quite put my finger on it, but what I do know is that there is a certain flavor there that I do not like. Then there’s moussaka, that’s alright, and kebabs, not bad, but nothing that blew me away like it did for the rest of my classmates. One might call me a picky eater, but the truth is, I’ll try almost anything. But within 24 hours of arriving to Athens, this is the truth I knew. I do not like Greek food.

So what’s one to do if they’re in a country for 5 weeks and they do not particularly enjoy the cuisine? You adapt, of course, and change your approach to eating altogether. Instead of giving up and resigning myself to eating hamburgers everyday, (Not that I didn’t have my fair share of McDonalds, we’ll get to that later) I tried to find things that were unique and interesting, as well as do a little comparison eating. In this short guide, I’ll be sharing how I adapted some of my eating attitudes and some of my favorite food discoveries along the way.





Find a Twist on a Classic

Indian souvlaki was probably the best food discovery I made on this trip. Don’t get me wrong, regular souvlakis were actually pretty good. It is a filling and cheap meal for any time of day. But if you’re sick of eating the same grilled meat with fries and tzatziki day in and day out, find a twist on a classic.

We discovered Mirch one day just outside of the flea market, in Psirri. With what is basically a chicken tikka masala in naan wrap, it is a deliciously savory and spicy meal with pops of freshness from the cucumbers and tomatoes. This gem added some much needed spice to my palette while still maintaining it’s boundaries on a Greek classic.



A Taste of the Familiar, With a Dose of Adventure

I’ll admit, I had quite a few cravings for fast food these past 5 weeks and let me tell you that I did not deny them. If you’re homesick for some fried chicken, go for it! Satisfy that craving with some crispy KFC. You don’t have to feel bad about it. Instead, frame it this way: get a taste of the familiar, with a dose of adventure. In other words, hit up familiar places but order something out of the ordinary. One thing I did was visit McDonalds and try some of their unique burgers such as this burger with the pinkish/purplish hue, dubbed, the Rainbow Burger. Although I'll admit, it was mostly hype, it was a real treat to be eating something familiar. (But to be honest, this was day 3- what can I say?)


Seek out familiar restaurants and see what you can find. Try things on the menu that are not avalible in the US. It’s the best of both worlds; trying new foods while still having the familiar tastes that you enjoy.



The Quest to Compare

In the same vein, do more comparison eating. If there was one thing I wanted to try in Greece, it was their Chinese food. And not because I heard that Greek Chinese food is amazing or anything but because one, I was curious to see how good/authentic it would be, and two, I was simply craving Chinese food. On my second to last day, I stumbled upon a Chinese restaurant that served a pretty great combo meal and I have to say, it was very satisfying and fun to taste food that I’ve been eating for years in my own household in a completely different context. And even though it wasn’t the best, I enjoyed the experience of having a meal of different flavors in a sea of souvlakis.

I think having a fun quest like this one can really elevate anyone's experience eating in a foreign country, even if you do like the food. Toward the end, I heard no shortage of my classmates complaining about eating the same things everyday. This way, you can add variety and excitement to your diet no matter where you are.

Conclusion 

Of course, on my journey to find foods that I wanted to eat, there were some duds. But I was also lead to find some hidden gems around the city. And unexpectedly, I began to appreciate Greek food more than I had when I began. There is something to say about the good old reliable souvlaki with pita.

Comments

Popular Posts