Leaving the Country for the First Time

It is still very hard to believe that I studied in Scotland. When I found out about the Origins of mind global seminar,
I knew that I wanted to be a part of it. Not only would I be able to visit another country but the courses and
excursions available in this program are very closely related to my career interests, so I knew I would get a
lot out of this program and enjoy it as well. But as a first-generation college student, college was a very unfamiliar
territory for both myself and my family, especially when it came to studying abroad. So when it came to wanting to
go abroad, I found it to be very overwhelming. I was not sure where to start, how I would be able to afford the cost
of the program, how it would allow me to satisfy my course requirements, overall, I did not know if studying abroad
would be for me, as I did not know what to expect.

I have never traveled outside the country nor did I have anyone that I knew that studied abroad that I could relate
to and receive some advice from. I felt so stuck and overwhelmed that for a moment I had rather just skip out on
going abroad to avoid the added stress, but I knew that there was a lot of support on campus to help me through
the process of going abroad so feeling a bit overwhelmed about it shouldn’t be an excuse for why I should skip
going abroad. With the help of the study abroad office, I was able to easily go through the process by attending
informational sessions, doing my own research, and reaching out to other students who had previously studied
abroad. 

All the hard work and running around to get things done were so worth it because I fell in love with Scotland. I
never thought I would actually be living outside of the country. I have formed many friendships that will last me
a lifetime and the experience of being on new terrains and being part of a different culture is something that
everyone should give themselves the opportunity to experience. For me, not once did I feel left out or very
homesick, on the other hand; I felt so free and independent. I felt motivated to step out of my comfort zone every
time to try new things. Just thinking about how close I was to skipping out on studying abroad for the simple reason
that I was scared makes me laugh every time because there is nothing to be scared about trying new things, on
the contrary; we should be scared of not trying new things.

The five weeks spent in Scotland were amazing. Waking up every morning I just couldn't believe I actually made
it here. I learned so much about myself and the people around me. My choice to study abroad is something I will
NEVER regret doing. I know that there are many students out there that feel like study abroad is not possible for
them whether it is because of the cost or because you are scared to leave home whatever reason it is that is
keeping you behind from studying abroad, just know that there is always a way and that goes for whatever
it is that you have been trying to do, just do it. You never know what you may gain or lose from it until you try it.
For me, I gained the most beautiful memories of myself as a young, independent individual who gave
herself the opportunity to explore a new country and to grow from the experience.


Give yourself the opportunity.



                               






                               





                               



By: Ashley Ugarteche

Comments

Popular Posts