Climbing the Cliffs of Santorini...Alone

The time of day was before noon on Sunday, on the amazing Island of Santorini. The sun was high, and the reflective surfaces from the city of Oia made it about ten times hotter than it should've been. I was on an Island Hopping trip with about 7 other colleagues in the Theatrical Design Athens program, and it was our last day before returning to the mainland - if you want some tips, check out Ceres Trinh's blog post! Because we had to catch a ferry right after viewing the town, I had my backpack with me, packed tightly with everything I needed for the three days we traveled so it was bulging probably about 1 foot out away from my back. We only had a few hours and I had one thing going through my mind: one way or another I will make my way down to the water.

**Please note that it might sound a little hyperbolized but that is due to the emotion I was feeling in the moment😘**

Looking up at the city from
 the path
Upon arriving, I spent some time with the group going around the strip of tourist shops and cafes, admiring the beautiful blue-roofed churches and homes. In Oia, there are many small alleys that lead down into the homes of the cliffside allowing many opportunities to get different views of the town. When following one of these side streets, I noticed a little patio area all the way at the bottom of the cliff, set up with a singular table and a couple chairs. Immediately I thought: welp, that looks like it could get me close to the water. I let the people I was with at the time know that I was going to try and make my way down, then trekked whatever small steps/roads that I could that lead down. At first, the path consisted of stairs and alleys - which by the way are all slippery from the tile/marble hybrid material they use, just like all the floors in Athens - but the rows of houses stopped and I headed down stairs through the tall grass and brown rocks.


Steps heading down
The path turning into rubble

 You're probably thinking, "Wow, who is this guy? This is obviously dangerous." And yes, I was well aware of my circumstances, but it took me until the path turned to literal pebbles and dirt to reconsider going down further. I was probably halfway down the cliff at this point. Although I was able to see a semi-distinct path leading to the patio, it was narrow and looked unstable. I spent 5 minutes standing on this mountain, on top of loose ground, with not too steep of a slope, and made the decision to head back up to avoid any possible injury.

And that's the end of the story............or so you think!

The path snaking along the cliff
Although this first path I took failed to get me to the water, I continued searching in hopes to find another. After 10 minutes, I seized another opportunity. I noticed a stone path heading down to a cliffside restaurant, and continued to meander between the corridors beyond it, until I came upon a large opening. The road was about the size of a normal one-way street, and snaked along the cliff as far as I could see. The only issue was that there was a white-picket fence that blocked the whole thing from public access. But as I was about to leave, I noticed that the side gate to the left of it was propped open. I had just saw some people come through it from the other side, and and since there were no signs around, I assumed it was safe to go through. And I did.


This was way more built than the other track of pebbles I followed before, and there were large nets that caught falling boulders that made me even more comfortable. I wandered quite a ways until I reached a part of the road that was taken off by falling rocks. Just when I thought I was in the clear, in front of me laid what used to be the path, but was now a steep slope of loose gravel that led to a drop down the cliff to the water below. The only thing connecting both sides was a sliver of packed rubble - about a foot wide - with some rope nailed to the cliff for assistance. At this moment, I contemplated what I was doing with my life. Am I really going to risk it...for water? But it was Mediterranean water. I stood for 5 minutes exchanging looks between the path and the water below, and was broken from my daze when two women came from behind me, considered the ledge, then continued to go across. Two things went through me mind: 1) If they can do it, I can do it, and 2) If something happens, I have witnesses. That last one was a little morbid, but I never really had a doubt that i would fall. I had some instinct.

The ledge I had to cross
The last part: stairs
I got ready to go.

I made my way to the beginning.

Grabbed the rope

And fast-walked my way through, while making some high-pitched muffled screams

I was now on the other side.




I looked back at the whole 7 feet that I had to cross, and thought, man my fear was definitely exaggerated because I felt how stable the ground was. I'm good. The remainder of the path were just stairs - and once again, they were SLIPPERY👀- all the way to this little port. The two woman, who I found out were recent UC graduates, left the minute I crossed over, so I scrambled down the stairs alone, all the way till I hit the bottom. I felt extremely accomplished, and took in the beautiful blue/green/turquoise sea. The rocks were a volcanic red and black, and the two yachts stationed were inhabited with workers relaxing in the sun. There were a few homes, but nothing too out of the ordinary.

Finally, I had completed my goal, stayed to admire the view of the distant islands and rolling sailboats, and sat on the shore with a huge sigh of relief. I couldn't believe I was at the bottom of Oia's cliffs - a compeltely isolated area, but just as dazzling as the sea of white stucco. It was all worth it.

-Christopher Hutchinson

Comments

Popular Posts