Financially Preparing for Your Trip Abroad


The most stressful part about studying abroad is being able to afford it! One of the biggest factors that constantly kept me a little hesitant about going abroad was being able to afford it. During my four years at UCSD, I didn't really receive much help from my parents because they didn't have the finances to help me. During my final two years at UCSD, I was working three jobs and still wasn't making enough to ensure I had money for my personal needs and for my post-college savings. Trying to squeeze in a study abroad trip seemed like a very expensive decision but I don't regret doing so at all. By preparing for this trip in a timely manner, I was able to fund over 80% of my trip with the help of scholarships, grants, and a small amount of loans. I had an additional advantage of studying abroad during the time I was also graduating so graduation gifts were also extremely helpful.

As I mentioned in another post, I started preparing for my study abroad trip over a year before the program began. In preparing, I was saving as much of my paychecks as possible to ensure I had money for my trip abroad and left over money to move back to San Diego and being preparing for post-college life when I returned. I decided that doing a study abroad trip over the summer, specifically a global seminar, was my best financial option because I would be able to take advantage of the summer grant. During the end of fall quarter and throughout winter quarter, I explored various scholarship opportunities to help me fund the trip. There are a TON of scholarships out there (both at UCSD and out there publicly) that can help you fund your trip and I do know of a few people who completely funded their trips with scholarships and grants. For myself personally, I only applied to three scholarships that were available at UCSD. Because of the fact that I was graduating and had to complete almost all my upper division major requirements during my fourth year, I was extremely mindful with which scholarships I wanted to invest my time towards since I didn't have a lot of extra time to work on applications and essays. Because I was an OASIS student, I applied to their global seminar scholarship and because of my decision to participate in a global seminar, I applied to their scholarship as well. Since I was also a Marshall student, I applied to their scholarship as well. I applied to scholarships that I fit requirements to and spent a lot of time on the essays and applications to increase my odds of being selected for the scholarships.

I was extremely fortunate to have received all three of the scholarships I applied to and with the help of the summer grant I only had to pay roughly $600 out of pocket to fund the remaining academic portion of my trip. I decided to play my cards right and took out the last of my student loans to pay off the remaining money so I could get a large refund that I could either use towards personal spending and travel during the trip or for post-college expenses when I returned. Prior to leaving for my trip, I also explored my credit card options and applied for another credit card that I could use during travel. The particular credit card I applied for had no international fees and gave me $150 back after spending $500 which I knew I could easily do on this trip. The credit card was extremely helpful in saving me so much money I would have wasted on foreign transaction and international fees that definitely would have added up if I was using my other cards. Another tip to help you save a bit of money before traveling is converting your dollars to the foreign currency you need thru your bank. Your bank will give you the best conversion rates and will sometimes help you avoid paying conversion fees you'll have to pay if you wait to convert abroad.

Overall, planning ahead for your study abroad experience can help you save more money than you think. Doing your research far in advanced can really help you save so much money and I'm glad I did so. UCSD paid a large portion of the academic part of my trip and I am forever thankful for all the financial resources I had available to be able to afford this trip. I hope anything I did is able to help someone else be able to fund their own trip.

Comments

  1. These are Top 10 things we need to remember for Brain Based Learning perfect for one size fit all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Capri charter

    If you are looking yacht rental service in Positano, then we provide the best Capri charter, Amalfi Charter, and Boat rental service in Positano. Get the best Boat excursions service in Sorrento, Italy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charter a boat in Sorrento Italy Sorrento luxury S.r.L Is a Company which offers private and exclusive services. Our aim is to offer our professionalism, our skills and our knowledge to help Guests to create and customize the very best Sorrento, Capri, Positano, Amalfi Coast or Naples itinerary. A yacht experience is a must for whom is looking to discover and explore the several wonders of this area. Our staff is composed by professionals people which assist guests since the first steps, helping in choosing the itinerary and suggesting how to make it more special and memorable. We like to work as a "family" rather than simply a team

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this, With an experienced local chef, you will learn how to make the perfect Bruschetta al Pomodoro and pizza. In Pizza Making Classes In Rome , you will learn how to choose the best ingredients for your bruschetta and pizza and before you even begin to cook, the smells of the fresh pomodori will have your tastebuds tingling. You with creating your pizza dough from scratch, learning how to knead it to the perfect consistency, and, here is the fun part, how to spin and flip it like a real pro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are many different places in the world where you can enjoy the one of the Best Vacation trip which can help you to travel and enjoy the trip in good way.I have found some of the traveling options where you can enjoy the holiday trip in good way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information. View this also - Car shipping to Germany

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to share a testimony on how mr benjamin helped me with loan of 2,000,000.00 USD to finance my marijuana farm project , I'm very grateful and i promised to share this legit funding company to anyone looking for way to expand his or her business project.the company is funding company. Anyone seeking for finance support should contact them on   247officedept@gmail.com    Mr Benjamin is also on whatsapp +1-989-394-3740 to make things easy for any applicant. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank for sharing such informational blog. To study abroad you need to start with IELTS course. If you want to fulfill your dream of studying abroad dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah! I'm really digging the template/theme of this blog. It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's tough to amalfi tours from naples get that "perfect balance" between user friendliness and visual appearance. I must say you've done a superb job with this. In addition, the blog loads very fast for me on Firefox. Superb Blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts