Food Guide to Rome

After spending the past 5 weeks in Rome I feel have become quite familiar with the restaurants in town and know where you can find the best meals. I will be breaking down this post into 3 sections: breakfast, lunch/dinner, and lastly dessert.

Breakfast:
The first meal of the day. In Europe, eating a large breakfast isn't customary, a typical Italian breakfast usually consists of a pastry and coffee. Usually my mornings in Rome always have some excursion planned so I have to get something to go, my go-to cafe since I have been here is right down the street from my apartment in Trastevere and is called Number One Caffe. I have tried a few pastries from here but my favorite has been this croissant/fruit tart hybrid. The breading of the pastry is flaky and croissant and sitting on top is a fruit tart custard with strawberry, kiwi and peach. The pastry is filling, delicious and only costs 90 cents!




Lunch/Dinner:
Since I have been in Rome I usually only eat either lunch or dinner, depending on what time of day we finish our excursions and class for the day. My meals here usually consist of a large portion of pasta so it keeps me quite fully for the rest of the evening. One of my most frequented spots for dinner has been a restaurant called Tonnarello, it's right in the heart of the charming city of Trastevere and is always busy. The restaurant is open all day from 12pm up until 1 am, sometimes there is a short wait for a table but it is definitely worth it. Another positive about this spot is the pricing, a large dish of pasta is 8.50 euros so it's quite affordable. My favorite dish here is the Cacio e Pepe, it's long noodle like pasta with pecorino cheese and pepper. Tonnarello also has my favorite tiramisu ever, it's so creamy and tastes like a cookie! Another great restaurant located near the center of Trastevere is Hostaria la Botticella, it's tucked away down a little side street in Trastevere but is still quite central to everything. This place has my favorite pasta dish I've ever had and it happens to be one of their specialties, it's called Schiaffoni la Botticella. It's a schiaffoni pasta with cheese, tomato sauce and pesto. The food here is great but it is more on the expensive side as one dish costs about 15 euros. It is also important to keep in mind that you are always charged around 2 euros for water and 2.50 euros for bread.













Dessert:
There are so many delicious desserts to choose from when coming to Italy but the most popular one seems to be gelato. My favorite gelato shop I have been to in Rome is located right by the Pantheon and is quite renowned for their gelato, Giolitti. They have so many flavors to choose from but favorites are pineapple, strawberry and lotus. The price of a cone and two scoops of gelato I have encountered seem to be quite standard around Rome at 2.50 euros. Another amazing spot for dessert is a shop called Two Sizes, they have quite a few desserts to choose from but their speciality is definitely tiramisu as they 6 different flavors to choose from. I have only tried their classic tiramisu flavor and it's amazing!












Comments

Popular Posts