Side trip to the South of France

I really enjoyed the opportunity to travel during the weekend while studying abroad. After finishing week three, I was able to travel to the south of France to Avignon. During my time in Avignon, I was able to see lavender and sunflower fields. I went with a tour guide to four lavender fields. The smell of lavender was strong and bees hummed loudly as they busily worked to harvest the pollen before the framers harvested the lavender. I went to the lavender fields at the perfect time. The lavender was in full bloom, perfect for harvesting, which, I saw many farmers harvesting their lavender. I was able to visit a small family of lavender farmers who own their own distillery. I saw how they harvest, hang lavender to dry, and extract lavender oil.

After visiting lavender fields, I went to the Lavender Museum. Distillery machinery dating back over the years and harvesting tools were all displayed and were accompanied by English recordings. At the end of the museum was the lavender gift shop. The gift shop had almost everything lavender you can think of for purchase, from lotions, soaps, teas, honey, oils, candy, and many other items.

One of my favorite parts of visiting the south of France was exploring the small villages outside of Avignon. The tour guide showed us where to find lavender ice cream and a locals favorite candy shop. Each town was beautiful and very scenic with green grass, trees, and lavender fields all over. The locals were especially friendly. Unlike Paris, locals around Avignon do not speak very much English, which let me practice my French more so than I had been in Paris.

A nice surprise during my time in Avignon was the Avignon Festival that was going on while I visited. The town festival lasts the whole month of July and lasts throughout the entire day. Locals advertise plays they are doing and can be seen singing loudly in the streets. Many street performers are also part of the festival, with singers traveling as far away as Australia and having large crowds gather in the middle of the street to watch. This is one of the most lively and friendly cities I have ever seen. I am glad to have had this opportunity to see the southern part of France.




Comments

Popular Posts