Week One Review: Revelle in Rome

It has officially been one week since I departed for Revelle in Rome and I have already seen and learned so much over the course of the last week!

Accommodations
For our first two nights in Rome we stayed in the Hotel Ripa, a small yet upbeat hotel in the neighborhood of Trastevere. Our stay here helped orient us for what to expect of the program and better acquaint us with the neighborhood in which we will staying in for the next month. It was our third day here where we transferred into the apartments. The apartments are equipped with three bedrooms (two people in each room), two bathrooms, a kitchen and living room. The bedrooms are quite spacious with lots of closet and dresser space. The beds come with a sheet and pillow set however, these aren't necessary to sleep under as there is not centralized air conditioning system making the evenings very warm. The apartment also has a spacious balcony that looks down over the main road of Viale di Trastevere. As for the overall city of Trastevere, I think it is the most quaint and charming part of Rome. It may not be as well manicured as other parts of the city but it truly provides with the essence of everyday Roman city life.

Class/Scheduling/Sightseeing
Our schedule since we have arrived in Rome has been pretty much nonstop. We have class Monday-Thursday from 3-5pm and in the hours before that we typically have excursions/sightseeing tours planned that consume a hefty amount of our afternoon. Although a bit tiresome, I don't mind this schedule at all as I want to make the most of my time here in Italy and this packed schedule definitely allows me to accomplish this. As for the two courses that I am taking, HIEU 124GS and HUM 3GS, I have enjoyed Professor Tronzo's lectures so far as it's interesting to discuss these ancient monuments that we then get to see first hand. Professor Tronzo is so kind and has such extensive knowledge on all of the sights we have seen and on the city of Rome as a whole.

Dining
In just a week I have been able to try a good handful of restaurants, cafes and gelato shops. All of my favorite restaurants have been in the Trastevere area as the food is more authentic Italian here in comparison to the eateries that surround the popular tourist sights. Although I have eaten at quite a few restaurants, I have gotten the same pasta dish at almost all of them, the classic Roman dish: Cacio e Pepe. It's a simple pasta dish of pecorino cheese and pepper. I have found since I have been here I usually have one large meal a day, which is more often than not a large bowl of pasta. For breakfast I usually have pastry, which usually holds me over until the late afternoon, early evening. As for the pricing of these items, pastries typically range from 60 cents to maybe 1.50 euro so it's very affordable, quick and very delicious. Dinner can be a bit pricy depending on where you go, but from what I have encountered main dishes here cost no more than a typically main dish in the U.S., ranging from 8-18 euros.

I have been loving every minute of my time in Rome so far, it is such an interesting and beautiful city with an even more interesting history. There is so much more for me to learn and see, I cannot wait!


Comments

Popular Posts