Looking Back

My five week adventure in Spain now seems like a dream. Since landing back on US soil, I have thought back on my trip many, many times. I find myself constantly saying to people "When I was in Spain..." and go on to tell a story or recall an event that happened while I was abroad. Even though I have been enjoying the reliable wifi, home-cooked food, having a break from schoolwork, and casual California culture, I miss many aspects of my life in Spain. I miss the city shutting down from 2pm-6pm and relaxing during siesta. I miss the sound of Spanish floating through the streets. I miss walking down the road to a nearby cafe and enjoying a warm croissant and cafe con leche. I miss the cobbled streets and historical buildings. I learned so much during my time in Spain, both in and out of the classroom. I learned all about the Spanish Civil War and African immigration into Spain from my classes. The tours we took to key Civil War sites, visits to immigration NGOs, and the trip to Morocco really enhanced our classroom learning. We were able to physically experience the places and problems that we were discussing. I discovered that I can navigate my way through a Spanish speaking country without much difficulty. I also learned that an open mind is absolutely necessary to success in a different culture, whether this be with trying new foods or adopting social customs. This trip has taught me the value of knowing multiple languages, and has inspired me to continue to pursue learning Spanish. It has also fed my desire to travel, and I cannot wait for my next trip abroad. I left California not knowing one person on my trip, and came back five weeks later with twelve new friends and one wonderful professor who I got to know as well. The small class was such a great change from my usual 400 student sciences classes at UCSD, and allowed for deeper relationships with my classmates and professor. I am so thankful to UCSD Global Seminars for this incredible experience that I will remember for the rest of my life. Until next time Spain! I will definitely be back.

Add caption

Comments

Popular Posts