July 8th, 2017 - Korean Queer Cultural Festival

I attended the Korean pride festival today and was so excited that I was able to attend it during my study abroad. I had missed out on LA pride this year because of finals and SD pride always happens in July, when I am back in LA. Normally, Korean pride is also held in June, but conservative groups blocked out the city permits for the entire month. That didn't stop the festival from happening though, since they moved it to July. I was both happy and sad that this happened. Happy because that meant I got to enjoy it during the month that I was there, but sad because it also showed how strongly Koreans are still opposed to gay marriage and rights. It is mostly the older generations that harbor much of the opposition, but it is sad that the younger generations have not voiced themselves enough to oppose the older.
I knew that the festival would not be exactly as those in California, but I was surprised by the large anti-gay movement happening across from the actual festival. Normally the anti groups in LA pride are contained to a small group of people outside the parade, maybe of about 20-40 people. However here, there was a whole CROWD and they had their own stage. It looked as if every single police member of Seoul was there to help keep the peace and provide a barrier between the two groups. Although the anti crowd was less verbal and aggressive than those in LA, they represented an omnipresent force of oppression. I did not sense any strong hatred from them-instead, I got the feeling that they were there fighting for what they believed was right, which was pretty scary.
Once I got in to the actual festival, the mood was immediately lighter. Everyone was having fun and enjoying the music performed by a queer singer. There were less rainbows and scantily-clad outfits than the parades in LA, but that was kind of expected. Because of the conservative nature of the country, people still struggle with expressing their sexuality. Most Koreans there risked their public image by simply attending the event.
After enjoying the music for a while, it was time to march. In LA, the people who attend Pride usually stand in one spot and watch the parade go by. But here, there was no parade. There were only two floats and then the crowd was to follow. It was an actual march, which made the distinctions between LA and Seoul clear. In LA, the Pride festival is more of a celebratory event, embracing sexuality and freedom. Here in Seoul, it was still a way of demonstrating the fight for gay rights. It was surreal to be in this march for freedom versus enjoying a parade of rainbows and near-naked people. I felt both honored and humbled by participating in the event.

Comments

Popular Posts