Coming back to a dream from a dream!


When I was abroad, I felt that I was in a dream... and even up to now I feel that it was all a dream but at the same time I feel that home is now the dream. I feel that any second from now I will wake up back in my apartment in Paris. 


Exactly one year ago I was beginning to look into the requirements to attend a global seminar. I had many graduated friends and mentors who told me that one of their biggest regrets from college was not studying abroad. I did not want to have the same regret as them. I made it a goal to study abroad because I wanted more than just a "vacation"... I wanted to have time to dive into a different culture and explore a different city. Because I had already finished the majority of my requirements, there was only so many of classes I could take while being abroad. Ultimately I decided to apply to the "Jazz in Paris" global seminar and I could not have chosen a better program.


From not really knowing anyone in the program to forming bonds with my apartmentmates and classmates, Jazz in Paris offered me an experience of a lifetime- literally. Going abroad has made me realize that there is a whole different world out there. There are so many places to see! These 5 weeks allowed me to explore Paris, Barcelona and Venice and I am still in awe of the beauty each place has to offer. I will miss having picnics in front of the Eiffel Tower, eating baguettes with jam and cheese and being able to go into museums for free! That's right. As a student of art history we were able to get into most museums for free! That was definitely a highlight of the trip. If you ever find yourself in Paris, make sure to check out the Latin Quarter- it is an area that has many restaurants with great 3 course meals for only 10 euros! Definitely worth the metro ride there. 

One tip I learned from studying abroad is to make sure to look into the basics of the language you will be around. Things like hello, goodbye, yes, no and thank you are crucial to how locals will perceive you. The last thing you want to do is seem like a rude tourist. 
- Don't be afraid to check out the menus outside of the restaurants. It is okay to look through a menu and decided if the food and/or prices seem reasonable. 
- When in a new city, make sure to take care of your personal things. I feel that because this was my first time traveling to Europe I was a bit scared of all the rumors of pickpocketing but if you're aware of your surroundings, nothing will happen to you. It is better to be safe than sorry. 

These 5 weeks were my first time being "independent". I lived on campus my first two years of college but because I am from San Diego, my parents expected me to be home every weekend. This global seminar allowed me to experience being on my own for the first time ever especially being alone in an unfamiliar place. This global seminar made me realize that although I did miss my parents, I can be alone without them and that I actually would like to be abroad for a longer period of time. I will be looking into master programs soon and I will definitely look into educational opportunities abroad. 

Jazz in Paris is an experience I will always hold dearly in my heart. It has made me realize that there is so much out there and that I would like to travel and discover more in the near future. Paris... you will be missed. Au Revoir!



Silvia Rodriguez

Comments

  1. We're so glad you had a wonderful time, Silvia! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts