21 in Delphi

How many people get to say that they turned 21 while studying abroad?! Not many – I bet, but thanks to Global Seminars, I not have quite the birthday story to share. My birthday just so happened to be the day on which we had a scheduled class trip to Delphi. Prior to visiting the site, we learned about the Oracle of Delphi and I wrote a paper on how the ethylene gas inhaled by the Oracle as she sat in the temple may have been the hallucinogenic drug that led her to interpret her hallucinations as messages from the god Apollo. Whether or not this was true, people from all over came to Delphi to seek guidance from the Oracle. It was surreal for us to now visit that very site.






At dinner, Professor Anagnostras and Yioda, our College Year in Athens liaison, surprised me with a birthday cake! It felt unreal that I was celebrating in a Greek tavern overlooking the most beautiful view of green mountain ranges and blue lakes. To top it all off, we headed to Santorini the very next day. If you’re wondering how it was, let me just tell you that I could go on and on about how much I loved it. But I’ll spare you the details and leave you with this – if Santorini isn’t already on your list of places to visit, definitely add it!! It’s now one of my favorite places in the world. Pictures can’t do its beauty justice, but I’ll include some anyways (-:


Comments

Popular Posts