I experienced culture shock when...

I actually didn't experience much culture shock when I got to Korea, but everything was cheaper here compared to the US even though it looked more expensive because there were more digits. It shook me when I saw billboards and commercials with Korean actors and artists.   In the US, sometimes you don't even know who that is on the commercial, but in Korea, they only use a few of the actors/artists to represent their products. 
In US, I see Korean actors on TV, but in Korea, you see them filming live. They were so close, but I don't know who some of them are. 

It finally hit me that I was in Korea when I saw the billboards passing by to the place I was staying and when I tried conversing to the locals on where to find the laundry place. 
It hit me when I went into a Korean restaurant with no English menu. They usually have English menus, but this restaurant only had Korean, so they showed me what each popular dish was and I could point to it.  There were so many Korean restaurants and our American fast food chains (like McDonalds) also got a Korean feel to it with their menus (bulgogi burger), but it was still delicious!
It hit me when I heard kpop in every store that I went into. Occasionally, there were some American songs playing, which was nice~



And the couple culture here is no joke. There's so much PDA and matching couple outfits (not just T-shirts) couples here match from head to toe (hat, shirt, pants, socks, shoes, bag, bracelet, umbrella).

This place was friendlier than I had expected. It wasn't as dangerous as I had heard, and I just felt comfortable and safe being here. The pollution is pretty bad; I can see dust under my nails and my face wash soap turned grey after washing. Other than that, I think I grew to like it here in Korea. The food is good and the transportation is user friendly. It's easy to get around and just enjoy the place~

Comments

Popular Posts