Week 4 in Japan 🏔
This week was one of the most restful weeks I have had in Japan. After weeks of constantly rushing from one place to another, it was nice to slow down, enjoy the moment, and appreciate the places around me without feeling like I had to check another destination off my list.
The week started with a quiet morning at a café where I caught up on readings for one of my courses. It was a simple way to spend the day, but sometimes those moments become some of the most memorable. Afterward, I wandered through the streets of Ginza with my camera, taking in the atmosphere and snapping photos as I explored. Ginza has a different rhythm than many other parts of Tokyo. It feels elegant without being overwhelming, making it the perfect place for an unhurried afternoon.
A couple of days later, some friends and I made our way to Enoshima, a small island just off the coast of Japan. Walking across the bridge with the ocean stretching out on both sides already made the trip worthwhile. As evening approached, the Sea Candle lighthouse lit up, and we realized there was a festival taking place. The island felt alive with lights, music, and people enjoying the summer evening.
Before exploring Enoshima, we were over at Kamakura, one of Japan's most historic coastal towns. Once the political center of medieval Japan, Kamakura is now known for its temples, relaxed atmosphere, and beautiful coastline. Wandering through its streets, it was easy to understand why so many people make the trip there. It perfectly balanced history with the laid back feeling of a beach town.
This week also introduced me to something I never knew I needed in my life: a dog café. I had heard of animal cafés before, but experiencing one was something else entirely. Sitting down with a coffee while fluffy dogs wandered over looking for attention was incredibly relaxing. Somehow, it combined two of my favorite things into one place. It quickly became my favorite type of café that I have visited in Japan.
The highlight of the week, however, was our group's trip to Mount Fuji. We did not climb the mountain itself, but instead visited several viewpoints around the Fuji Five Lakes region. We admired Japan's most famous mountain from a boat crossing the lake and later from high up in the surrounding hills. Although the summit stayed hidden behind clouds for much of the day, we saw enough to appreciate its incredible size and understand why it has inspired artists, pilgrims, and travelers for centuries. There is something almost surreal about seeing Mount Fuji in person after growing up with photographs of it.
One unexpected surprise came after hiking back down from one of the viewpoints. We stopped for lunch and, somewhat ironically, I ended up trying my very first Salvadoran dish in Japan. It was not something I expected to find on a trip centered around Mount Fuji, but it turned out to be absolutely delicious. Travel has a funny way of creating moments like that, where the things you remember most are often the ones you never planned for.
Looking back, this week was not about checking off famous landmarks as quickly as possible. Instead, it was about slowing down, enjoying good conversations with friends, discovering unexpected places, and appreciating the quieter moments that often make a trip unforgettable. Sometimes the best memories come not from rushing to the next destination, but from simply being present where you are.




Comments
Post a Comment