Semana Dos en Chile

My second week in Chile has been amazing! Although I originally hated how cold it is here, it’s starting to grow on me. We do so much walking here, I don’t even realize how cold it is! On Monday, my friends and I went to the MUT (Mercado Urbano Tobalaba), a large shopping center with an even bigger food court. I was able to buy 2 new sterling silver rings there, and my friend and I tried Chilean hot dogs. I probably won’t be eating another one any time soon…


On Tuesday, we had a class excursion to the Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino, where we saw many indigenous sculptures and other amazing art pieces. I really enjoyed this expressive mask I found, which originally stored quetzal feathers in its holes and was used for ancient death rituals for the Mapuche people. 


On Wednesday, my friends and I decided we wanted to get manicures, so we headed to a nail salon near our school after class. There, we met very friendly Chileans who taught us some new slang! We were also shocked at how cheap the manicures are compared to the US. $50 cheaper!


Thursday, we went on another class excursion to another college campus, where we had an exchange with Chilean students. We made a few friends there who helped us learn more about Chile, and we even exchanged social media handles so we can meet up while we’re here. I’m very grateful we now have locals who can show us all the best spots in Santiago!


This past weekend, our study abroad group went on a trip to Valparaiso, a coastal city in Chile. We’ve visited 2 of Pablo Neruda’s houses, a famous poet here in Chile, and each one was decorated exquisitely. Although we weren’t allowed to take photos, he definitely had some great views! Overall, this week has been packed with fun activities and I’m excited to head back to Santiago tomorrow night!









Comments

Popular Posts