Arrivederci, Roma!
My last week in Rome was filled with bittersweet moments. Knowing I was walking those streets for the potentially the last time filled me with both sadness and gratefulness. I connected with the city so much during my time there, I have a strong feeling I will return many more times in my life. During our last week the course load was much lighter because we had finished our essays and our classes mainly consisted of discussion, watching movies, eating breakfast together-- honestly, just hanging out!
My friends and I worked to cross some last minute things off our list that we ha been planning on doing, but never making concrete plans because it always felt like we had so much time! This included going to a rooftop dinner, visiting the Colosseum and Trevi Fountain at night, and going out to a bar popular amongst other students studying abroad. I think I had the most fun during this final week because I was really realizing how close I had gotten with the people on the trip and we were all fully letting ourselves live in the moment and absorb every last ounce of Rome before we had to leave. We additionally returned to the Circus Maximus as a class to see the opera Aida, which was amazing but everyone was so completely drained that most of us fell asleep (including our professor!).
Our last night in particular was very special to me. I felt very at ease since I had all of my things packed and I feel like although I was sad to leave Rome, I was experiencing a sense of excitement different from everyone else since I was going to continue on to solo-traveling Italy and Switzerland the following week. After we had our farewell dinner and parted ways with the rest of our class, myself and two of the girls I have gotten very close with met our professor for drinks at Piazza Campo de' Fiori. I will always remember those deep conversations we had that night walking around the square and people watching. It was very special because we had just discussed the statue or Giordano Bruno the day before in class and the next day on my own I happened to read a poem about Campo de' Fiori that closely paralleled my own experience people watching. I stayed up all night and we all cried when it was time to part ways.

Comments
Post a Comment