À tout Aix-en-Provence
The last week of my study abroad in Aix-en-Provence didn't really feel like the last week until it was over and everyone was saying their goodbyes. As we were all hugging and saying our goodbyes, we also took the chance to reflect on the experience and what we learned from it. While some people didn't enjoy Aix and others did, we still came to the agreement that figuring out what you like and don't like was all apart of the experience meaning we were able to learn things about ourselves that we wouldn't have known if we hadn't taken the chance.
Saying goodbye to Aix was hard, especially considering that I had to leave behind my favorite gelato shop, but I know that through my memories and many photos taken, I'm not leaving it behind fully as I'm able to carry the memories with me. On top of that, I, thankfully, was with the best study abroad group and we've all promised to stay in contact with each other through instagram as well as meeting up for lunch. I'm so thankful that we were all able to put ourselves out there and get along well enough to connect on a personal base and become true friends with a special shared experience.
Over the entirety of the program, which lasted five weeks, I made more than 50 connections, 31 new friends, and hundreds of memories. Being able to immerse myself in the various cultures of Aix-en-Provence gave me a better understanding of the history surrounding French nationalism, language, and immigration. I was able to read many articles, which wasn't always fun, and learn things about French film and cinema that I probably wouldn't have known had I not engaged with the material.
Being able to have the chance to study aboard after so many years of saying I would was unreal. I never thought I'd have the chance as it always seemed to be too expensive and an experience that was unattainable for me. I'm so grateful to the Denno scholarship as without it, I wouldn't have been able to get the experience of discovering the south of France.
I hope to visit the South of France again at some point in the future and further reflect on how this experience changed my views, so I'll see you later Aix!

Comments
Post a Comment