Een Levensveranderende Ervaring!
Week Five in Amsterdam
By: Diana Rodriguez
It was very difficult to bring myself to the fact that I would be leaving the Netherlands after spending more than a month there. Although I did still feel very much like a tourist up until the end (mostly because I still did not speak much Dutch), I was still able to grow as a person throughout my time here and was able to develop a sense of belonging in the community of Amsterdam.
For the last week of the program, I presented two separate assignments for my urban design class, with a showcase of the vlogs we created in teams for the sustainable development class. It was so fun viewing the videos everyone created regarding the excursions we went on and how those sustainable methods we learned throughout can be applied on a global scale.
On Thursday, I went with some friends to a zoo that was located in the city. There were so many fascinating animals found throughout the layout of the place, and there was even an aquarium that we got to explore as a bonus. I would say that my favorite exhibits were those of the jellyfish and mountain goats.
Later that same day, we had our farewell dinner at an Indonesian restaurant. I've never tried Indonesian food up until that point, but I will say that the dishes I've eaten there were far better than I had expected. There were so many different foods that just kept getting better as new ones were being passed around the table. It was also a big bonding moment for everyone in the program, so it was really heartwarming to see everyone having fun and sharing the moments they created since their arrival.
The following day, Friday, was my last day in Amsterdam. I've decided to visit the Rijksmuseum again, since it was something that I was planning on doing since I first went there on a class trip, but this time on a solo trip. I would say that it is a very large area, and I've even gotten lost inside the hallways numerous times. Despite this, I enjoyed every second of it, and I'm glad that I was able to see the museum again before I left. Afterwards, I met up with some friends to go shopping for last-minute souvenirs to bring home to family members, and I ended up buying some books for my own personal enjoyment.
I've experienced so much personal growth throughout my time in Amsterdam. Whether through cultural assimilation, class presentations, picking up new hobbies, making new connections, or even gently pushing myself out of my comfort zone, I haven't felt the same person since before I started the program. I am so grateful for the opportunities that have been made available to me, and I hope that I can take part in sharing these experiences with others to encourage them to pursue some of their own.
Sincerely,
Diana Rodriguez

Comments
Post a Comment