Week 2: Self-Care While Abroad


While you’re enjoying your study abroad experience there’s a lot of pressure to do as many things as possible in such a short amount of time, especially during the 5 week global seminar programs. 


During my first and second weeks in Athens, I pushed myself to the limit with little sleep and not nuritioning my body correctly. I’ve had the best time of my life traveling to new places like Crete and Nafplio, and walking everywhere in Athens. But I’m exhausted. I’ve prioritized socializing over proper rest and food. So for the next few weeks I’m going to find a balance between self-care and enjoying Greece because if I’m not well rested I won’t fully enjoy my time here and I will struggle with my courses. 


My class is going on a six day long trip to the islands of Kos and Patmos for our third week of the program. Then I’m headed straight to Mykonos for the weekend. This is where the self care and exploration balance comes into play. I need to rest as much as possible so I can enjoy the islands as much as possible and focus on school. 


Due to being so exhausted I have gotten a little sick and needed to use the pharmacy here. Which has been an interesting experience. As a public health major, I’ve learned about different health care systems and in Greece I have been able to experience and hear from locals how having equitable access to health care is beneficial. There are pharmacies on every block and they utilize the pharmacists a lot more than they do in America. They hear your symptoms and give you the proper medication. This has been so convenient. 


My biggest take-away is to prioritize yourself and be honest about how you’re feeling. You can’t enjoy your program if you are too exhausted. So do a face mask, drink some tea, and go to sleep at 10pm every once in a while, you’ll be grateful for it the next day! 

Comments

Popular Posts