First Experiences in Dublin: Using Public Transportation and a Cafe Review

    Studying abroad in Dublin is the perfect opportunity to explore the city and learn about the culture. If you are like me and have never used public transportation before, then you are in for a nice surprise! Most people use public transportation in Dublin, and there are many buses coming and going, so it is not hard to find one. Get a Leap Card if you want to be traveling throughout Dublin because it is easy to use and the most cost-effective way to travel. It allows you to use the bus, train, tram, or renting a Dublin Bike. I used the bus and the train during my first week in Dublin. All you have to do is get on the bus and tap your card and you are good to go. I also suggest that you download the Leap Top-Up App so that you can add funds to your card. I love how there are two levels on the buses because you can sit in the top level and see the city through the windows as you ride the bus. Personally, I am an intern for Saint John of God and I do activities with the service users who are people with intellectual disabilities. We have been using the bus, train, and doing lots of walking to places almost every day. I suggest wearing sneakers or any comfortable walking shoes when exploring the city.

This first picture is my view from the train when I traveled with my group to a bowling alley in Bray! 
It is also common to see rainbows in Ireland because of the rainy weather! 



I took these picture while walking around the city. There are 24 bridges that connect the North and South side of Dublin across the Liffey River. Many of the buildings you see when walking around the city are so unique!


Cafe Review: During my internship, I went with a group to the Together Cafe to drink coffee and eat delicious food while visiting some of the service users that work there. I ordered a cappuccino and a chicken sandwhich with crispy onions and it was so good! I learned that in Ireland, there are over 90% of adults with Down Syndrome that are unemployed, and the Together Academy is a college that is working to change this by providing training, job experience, greater independence, and a support network for people with Down Syndrome. The people that I met at this cafe were lovely, fun, and super friendly, and I highly recommend this cafe!

By: Brandi Dickens


Comments

Popular Posts