Let's Rock'n Roll

 

    After experiencing the nightlife in Dublin these past couple weekends, I couldn't help but notice the difference in the music that is popular here. In America, it is typical for people to not want to listen to the radio because of the overplayed pop and rap songs. Even in clubs, you will find the same kind of music. It caught me by surprise that House music and even Rock, are more widely known here in Dublin.

    Earlier this week I had gone to a Rock'n Roll bar called Fibber Magees. I had never been to a rock'n roll bar before, so the whole thing was a new experience for me. While I can say I have a pretty wide taste in music and dabble here and there with different genres, I realized that I don't listen to as much rock music as I thought I did. At the bottom floor of the bar, gigs take place for bands who play their own songs as well as covers. It was very refreshing to hear live music that was not pop or rap. Even though I didn't know that many songs, the night was enjoyable because it wasn't anything like the outings I have had before, including having Guinness spilled all over my white pants.

    In addition to hearing live rock for the first time, it was also the first time I had hung out with all locals by myself. It has been so interesting to see the cultural differences and learn more about the people who grew up here in Ireland. I have yet to try my first Guinness and experience my first pub, but I without a doubt I think that this night at the rock'n roll bar was a a good indicator of an Irish night out. Not to mention, this all took place on a Wednesday night which doesn't seem to be too unusual here. Although, a possibility could be due to it being summer vacation (which I actually found out that there is no such thing as summer school here). My biggest take away from this night was that I definitely need to expand my Spotify playlists so that the next time I go into another bar like that, I am better prepared.

Comments

Popular Posts