Being Sick in Bali

This week I was reminded of the importance of making sure that prior to departing to our Study Abroad destination, one does their part in being aware of what medications to take, what vaccines to get, what insurance one has while abroad, who to contact in case of an emergency, and more. This week I woke up to what I thought were ant bites on my forearms. Throughout the day, they seemed to have spread to other parts of my body. My friend realized that they did not look like bites by the evening, but rather that they were hives and I was having an allergic reaction to something. I took Benadryl thinking that I would be fine since at that moment the hives were localized and not as severe. Thankfully, my mom had reminded me to bring some Advil, Tylenol, Benadryl, and other common over-the-counter medication. I had never had hives before and did not know what could have caused them or how to treat them. I contacted my professor and the local staff and was told to take the allergy medication and to let them know if my condition worsened. At this moment I thought about how important it was to be prepared with over-the-counter medication. 

I fell asleep pretty early due to the drowsiness I had felt from the Benadryl. I woke up around 12am with my whole body covered in hives. I was so scared! They were much worse and were all over my body. I reached out to the professor and staff and was taken to the hospital. My friends accompanied me and I was given an injection for the allergic reaction. Since my body responded well to it and I was starting to feel relieved, the doctor prescribed me some medication and I was able to leave. I had to pay out of pocket for the hospital visit since the insurance would not cover direct expenses. It is important to read and ask about the travel insurance you have and how it works. I had thankfully just gone to an ATM  a few days prior, so I was able to avoid using a debit card and paying a larger fee. I think about how if I would've not had enough money in cash or on my card, I wouldn't have been able to pay for the medications that I needed. After talking with the staff, they told me that I would have to save my receipt, and then once I was back in the states, I would have to submit them for reimbursement. It is super important to be aware of the insurance policy and how all of this works to make sure you have enough money for emergencies. 

I was able to rest for a few days and I avoided eating anything that may have been causing my allergic reaction. It is hard to know what exactly caused my allergic reaction. I have avoided the sun, rested, and made sure to look up all of the home remedies for hives. I was also in close contact with my parents and family members who are doctors to get more advice on what had happened. 

Overall, this experience was a learning experience that made me realize how important it is to be aware of insurance policy and bring some medication that may be needed. It is always best to be prepared.

By: Carolina Lopez

Comments

Popular Posts