Am I Actually Studying Abroad?!

I am currently nearing the end of my fourth week in Rome, and time has flown by super fast! I am still in shock that I am here in Rome because I never imagined I would actually get to travel abroad. I have always wanted to study abroad, but the cost of the program was out my budget and my family's budget. Thankfully, I was able to get scholarships and loans which made my dream come true! For this post, I am going to talk about my pre-departure planning. This has been my first experience ever going abroad, so preparing for this trip was definitely different from how I usually prepare for trips within the states. Here is how I got ready for Rome:

1. Lists!!! Considering the length of the trip and the fact that I was going to be in a different country and had no idea what things Italy would/would not have in comparison to the US, lists were my best friend. I went online and searched "Study Abroad Packing List" and checked a few different websites for their suggestions. During this time, I made a list on my phone of what things I needed to pack for the trip in general, as well as a list that specifically stated the things I still needed to buy. This was an easy way to stay organized!

2. Shopping!! A few days before my trip, my mom and I took a trip to Target to purchase the things that I did not already have at home but would need in Rome. Target is a great place to shop because it is cheap and has such a variety of items, you will most likely find everything you need and will not have to go to multiple stores!

3. Packing! Here is where I procrastinated. This may work well for some (for me it was fine), but for others it may not, so tread carefully! I decided to pack everything the night before I left for Rome. It was about 11PM when I started, so my parents were asleep and did not help, but it turned out just fine! I managed to fit everything into my one suitcase, my one small carry-on luggage, and my carry-on backpack. I also made sure to leave room for souvenirs!

So, that was my Rome preparation. I am so excited to be here studying abroad and cannot believe that Week 5 is already almost here. See you in a few days for exciting Rome stories!!

Comments

  1. Depending on your university, there could also be private student accommodation close to campus, with similar price points to what you’d get on-campus.

    DMU student accommodation

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts