Has it been 4 weeks in Scotland already?

It is my 4th week here in Scotland and the time has gone by so quickly! First off, let me just say that the jetlag and time zone difference takes a long while to get used to. I've never been a nap person, but sometimes you just need a 3-hour nap to rejuvenate your tired and confused body. Besides that, I'm having an amazing time exploring Edinburgh and I've even had the chance to visit St. Andrews and Glasgow, which were both beautiful. The castles, cathedrals, and landscapes are all like something out of a painting. I am still trying to fit more things into my schedule for the following week because there is just so much to see and do.

The weekly excursions have been so great and it is a great way to do "touristy" things without having to plan anything. So far we've done 2 tours of the city, a visit to the Holyrood Palace (the Queen actually stayed there while we were here! I didn't get to see her, but a few of my classmates did.), a hike up beautiful Arthur's Seat, and tomorrow we are visiting Stirling Castle. There is so much history here and these guided tours really bring everything to life.


Almost every museum here is free too, which is great if you're on a budget. They love their art and history here so there's museums dedicated to the city, portraits, religion, and science.

My one and only regret during my trip has been my wardrobe. Although it is relatively chilly here from time to time, the majority of my trip has been very warm and sunny. In my previous post, I mentioned that I packed rain jackets, hoodies, and long-sleeves, but boy do I wish I had brought shorts and t-shirts. Apparently this is one of the first summers here when it actually has been warm and not rainy, so I guess I couldn't have seen it coming anyway. Regardless, definitely check the weather forecast for the upcoming week before you begin to pack because that can make a huge difference! Make sure to still pack layers because there are days where its really windy and overcast, but also pack some summery clothes incase the sun is as strong as it is now.

One thing to look out for here is the exchange rate. Although it can feel like you aren't spending that much money, your bank account will tell you otherwise. For example, I spent £15 on shorts, which doesn't seem too bad right? Wrong! That's actually $19.79 that I spent on a pair of plain shorts from T.K.Maxx (Yes, you read that right it's T.K.Maxx here, not T.J.Maxx). So definitely try to limit how much you spend out here if you're trying to conserve money because the exchange rate will bite you in your newly clothed behind.

Besides these minor factors, I'm having the best time out here and I'm even making a trip out to London this weekend! I it's going to be a very long bus ride, but it will definitely be worth it. By the way, for cheap bus tickets and flight tickets, check out Megabus and Ryan Air for really great deals! I hope you all are finding this helpful and I do hope that you learn from my mistakes. I'll be back in a couple weeks to fill you in on how the rest of my trip goes!
For now, please enjoy this picture of me in front of T.K.Maxx






Comments

Popular Posts