Am I really in Greece?




As a first generation college student, I never imagined that I would have the opportunity to study abroad. 

A week ago I was home in Los Angeles packing for this trip but it all felt surreal. I remember applying to the program months ago, applying for financial aid and scholarships, and planning everything out. Next thing I know I was on a plane heading to Athens, Greece. It was my first time on a plane and I was eager to get to my destination. I was welcomed by College Year in Athens and settled into my home for the next 5 weeks. I immediately felt a culture shock because everything seemed so different from home. After taking a survival Greek class and exploring my neighborhood, I felt much more comfortable. I learn something new about Athens everyday! I feel welcomed and supported by the College Year in Athens staff, my professor, and classmates.

I have had the opportunity to eat traditional Greek food such as Gyros and Souvlaki. My roommates and I are also currently learning how to navigate our way through the transportation system to explore different parts of Athens. There are such beautiful sceneries and new places for us to discover in the following weeks. I really enjoy the fact that our program incorporates class excursions. Through these trips I am able to bond with my classmates while our professor explains to us the historical significance of the various locations. In the classroom,  we got an introduction to the pharmaceutical industry and then were given a tour of one of the factories here in Athens. My favorite excursion so far, was being able to go up to the Acropolis and see the famous Parthenon up close! I'm excited to see what is in store for me next.



-Jennifer Sernas 





Comments

Popular Posts