When in Rome

I have officially spent 2 weeks in Italy, and it has been the best two weeks of my life! I have learned so much about ancient Rome, started amazing friendships, and seen some breathtaking sights.

Learning:
Some people don't like the idea of Study Abroad because they would rather prefer a vacation to the place they'll visit. But honestly, if I simply went to Rome without my Study Abroad program (Mathematical Beauty in Rome), my experience would pale in comparison to what it is with it. I'm only two weeks in, and I have gained such an extensive knowledge of how the ancient Romans lived, all of which I could never get from tours, guide books, or google. I have learned multiple legends of how the city started, and the original geometry that allowed the Romans to build everything they built. Today I even learned why the Colosseum broke the particular way it did - half of the outer wall collapsed. Studying in Rome has been an amazing opportunity.

Friends:
It's weird to think about, but when you Study Abroad, you make amazing new friends. In my GS program, there are only 10 students, so we got really close really fast. The first day we arrived in Rome, all 10 of us together decided to go exploring. We found out real quick that we all get along great, and we all work well together in getting the whole group unlost. Ever since, we venture out into the city together, eat meals together, cook together, go on weekend trips together, and of course learn together. These 9 amazing people have made my Rome experience even more amazing, and I cannot wait to further our friendships in the weeks to come! (and also at UCSD when we all return).

Sights:
I can't even put into words how amazing the sights in Rome are. If you have any interest at all in anything remotely related to ancient Rome or ancient Greece for that matter, or even if you simply just liked Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson books: COME TO ROME! It is amazing! And if you're a nerd like me, and know a lot or random facts about ancient Greece and ancient Rome (again, thank you Rick Riordan), it is jaw dropping how many connections there are! For example, SPQR (Senate and the People of Rome) shows up a lot in the Heros of Olympus series, and guess what is marked on every sewer and major building all throughout the city?
Honestly, everything about Rome has been amazing. I can appreciate the big things, like the giant ancient structures, and I can even appreciate the little things, like all the seemingly insignificant details throughout the city.

Comments

Popular Posts