Why you should study abroad!

I've been back in the U.S. for 2 weeks now and it's been very surreal. I find myself thinking, "Wow, I was really in Greece for over a month!" Those 5 weeks were a phenomenal experience, leaving me with the strong desire to study abroad again.

If you're a foodie, you must study abroad! California only has so much authentic food. When studying abroad, you have the opportunity to try a plethora of traditional, amazing cuisines. My favorites in Greece were gyros, souvlaki, tzaziki, baklava, and more. 

By traveling, you will gain so much independence. I am terrible at direction, but without my phone's GPS, I was forced to learn how to navigate my neighborhood and metro system in Athens. Whenever I was able to get somewhere on my own, I got so excited. You also have to learn how to budget your money and to not be afraid to ask questions when you need help. These are all great skills to have that you'll gain from studying abroad.

Lastly, there is no better way to experience another country's culture than to be completely immersed in it. If I were on 1 week vacation in Greece, I would have had a completely different experience. I probably would have just been to the touristy areas and would not have learned a single thing. By studying abroad, you will go on excursions that will show you a completely different side of a country. For example, when I signed up to study in Greece, I only pictured the islands and the famous white and blue houses. While the islands are beautiful, there is so much more to do in Greece. I would have never explored the streets of Athens or experienced the gorgeous mountain villages if I had not studied abroad. 

All in all, Global Seminars is an amazing program and I truly had the most amazing time. I definitely would like to study abroad again in the future because the memories I made were unforgettable.  



Comments

Popular Posts