Back in the States (bummer)

My experience studying abroad was so great and eye-opening. Going to a different country and learning about a whole different culture is valuable and useful in everyday life. While I'm sad to be back home so soon, I am very glad that I got to experience such a wonderful program.

I realize that I didn't talk at all about my classes! So I signed up for the HUM 4/HIEU 21 courses and boy did they come with a heavy workload. I'm talking 10+ hours of reading per week and essays every 2 weeks. I'm not going to lie, it was extremely stressful. BUT it was actually worth it because you're in a whole different country! You could do your assignments at a cafe, a park, or even in a pub if you really wanted to. The point is that there are ways to complete your work and still explore the country.

Now that that's over, lets talk about re-assimilation into the States. It actually has not been that bad for me. I thought my sleeping schedule was going to be really messed up, but luckily I fell right back into my old sleeping pattern. Well, I've actually been going to bed earlier and waking up around 6-8, which I guess isn't a bad thing. Going back to American cultural norms has been pretty awkward too. I look at the wrong side of the road before I cross and I've caught myself saying pounds instead of dollars when I'm shopping.

Besides all of this, I think that my process going back into the U.S. has been great! I was so excited to see my family and give all of them big hugs and souvenirs. I definitely miss the calm, green, and exceptionally Scottish environment from Scotland. I hope to go back to Edinburgh one day and do some more exploring, since 5 weeks was barely enough time to travel all of Scotland. Until then, I hope some of you reading this will take advantage of the study abroad program and immerse yourselves into a whole different culture!

Comments

Popular Posts