Takeaways from Study Abroad

Perspective
Having never travelled outside of the country prior to this program, I have grown accustomed to “American” culture. Living in another country for five weeks has opened my eyes to the presence of cultural variance. For instance, Parisians are typically quiet and take their time in everyday life, which directly contrasts Americans who are typically loud and always in a rush. This is just one example that I have observed over these five weeks, and only in one city. I can only imagine the great amount of cultural variance that exists worldwide.

Confidence 
Living away from home is nothing new; I’ve lived away from home for the past couple years, studying at UCSD. But living in Paris was a completely new domain. Going to a new country, not knowing a single person nor the vernacular - definitely stepping out of my comfort zone. However, I quickly learned how to survive and get around. By the end of the five weeks, I felt like a local! Easily navigating the Metro and learning the etiquette of Paris, even though I still can’t speak fluent French! This experience has taught me that I am capable of adapting to new, frightening experiences and overcoming any obstacles that may pop up.


Friendship
One thing I did not particularly expect from this program was the close bond I developed with the rest of my classmates. Typically in classes these days, there’s not much extracurricular interaction. Through this global seminar, however, the 24 of us were able to experience Paris together, facing the same challenges and making the same mistakes, together. Together we made some unforgettable memories and I am grateful that I was able to experience them with such a group. We developed a special connection that is unique to our group, and will forever be able to reminisce our time in Paris. 

Comments

Popular Posts