To be continued in Europe...what I wish I knew

Being able to study abroad in Greece for those 5 weeks was absolutely life changing. Being a transfer student, I always thought that studying abroad was not an option for me. When I decided to get more information about studying abroad at Ucsd, that is when I first heard about summer global seminar Sessions. I had no idea beforehand that summer sessions were an option. I thought that the only way someone could study abroad was for an entire semester and that would never work out for me because of my job. But it turns out, the summers abroad were a thing and they worked out perfectly for me! Because of this opportunity, I have been continuing my travels abroad all throughout Europe. I wish I would have known a few things before I left for my (in total) two month long trip abroad.
1) overpacking is a problem: the type of clothing I wear back home was not necessary for this trip. Simple shorts and T-shirt’s would have been just fine. But instead I did pack full on outfits. While we did go out to dinner once and awhile, I definitely packed more than I needed.
2) buy snacks at the local grocery store: I spent so much extra money on little snacks and waters throughout the trip that I could have easily saved that money on if I would have just bought more snacks at the store for each week.
3) have an unlocked phone so you can get an international SIM card. I bought an international plan but it was only for 30 days (remember, I am out here for 2 months) and halfway through my study abroad program, the international plan suddenly stopped working and my phone provider did not know why. If you can get your phone unlocked ahead of time, you can purchase an international SIM card for a very low low price and that works out way better in the end.
Overall, my studying experience abroad was truly life changing and I learned so much about Greece and its culture and its people. Thank you so much to this scholarship because without it, I would not have been able to even consider studying abroad.

Comments

Popular Posts