Coming Home: Reflecting on my time as a student of color in Paris

Wow, I just spent Five weeks in Paris.
From visiting the Eiffel Tower to getting lost on the hot stuffy metro, Paris was an amazing experience. It was unreal that I was able to immerse myself in French culture all while learning about my own. As a Black students it was so important for me to find a piece of myself in France. It was EVERYWHERE.
There is something almost peculiar about the gravitational pull that Paris has had and continues to have on the black artists of the world. Being here has made me realize what an inspirational space it is for those who create and call themselves artists. It's revolutionary to be in a space where some of the most influential creators of African-American history have passed through and been inspired here.
To any student of color reading this.Your dreams of going abroad are possible all it takes is a little work and determination. As I sit on this plane headed home, I wish everyone who goes abroad a amazing experience. No matter what happens on your trip, make the best of everything because five weeks is a short amount of time and you’ll miss the best things in those small moments. Make your trip as memorable as possible. Don’t forget to go on a small adventure, whatever that means to you.

Comments

Popular Posts