Goodbye Greece


Wow! Five weeks just flew by. Besides exploring Athens and class excursions, my apartment mates and I went to explore other islands on the weekends. We visited Mykonos, Ios, and Santorini. These trips were adventures and required more planning than I expected. We had to utilize our resources and book ferry tickets and hotels/AirBnbs. Each island was unique and had a different culture, from the peacefulness of Ios to the large crowds of tourists in Santorini and Mykonos. We all had to work together to figure out the transportation system and make a plan to visit certain parts of the islands we wanted to explore. Traveling independently has its pros and cons, but overall it is an unforgettable experience. 


One of the highlights of my trip was getting to visit Delphi. When I was in middle school I was fascinated with Greek Mythology and read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. The young hero Percy Jackson went to visit the Oracle of Delphi.This was all exciting to me when I was 12 and I never would have imagined to be in Greece visiting the ruins of the Temple of Apollo where this Oracle of Delphi once prophesized (yes, I brought my Percy Jackson book to Greece).


After taking some time to reflect on my flight back to the United States, I would like to share some advice to other UCSD students who are interested in studying abroad:

 It is okay to feel intimated or scared to study abroad. Try to step out of your comfort zone. This was my first time ever traveling outside of California, Utilize your resources on campus and fight the right program for you! Look for scholarships and talk to the staff at the Study Abroad Office, who are aways willing to help. Once you are abroad, make new friends, try new food, go exploring, and enjoy the sights because “some things are meant to be seen, not captured.” 
(PS don’t overpack because you will want to bring home a lot of souvenirs and you need space in your suitcase)

!! ευχαριστώ (Thank You) Greece !!

Comments

Popular Posts