Week 3 in Berlin, synchronizing with the heartbeat of the city

 

I can’t believe I am halfway through the Berlin Journey. This week was less about museums and organized activities and more about exploring the city on my own. Some of my favorite memories came from simply wandering around without a plan and seeing where Berlin would take me.

One afternoon, I stumbled upon a small coffee shop tucked away on a quiet street. Their signature dish was churros served with a cup of thick hot chocolate for dipping. I had never tried churros this way before. The chocolate was so rich that it felt more like melted chocolate than a drink. If you ever come to Berlin, please go to this cafe shop called "Nibs Cacao". Sitting there with a coffee, watching people walk by outside, was one of those simple moments that made me feel like I was starting to settle into the rhythm of the city.



Another place I discovered was a bookstore hidden underneath the train tracks. From the outside, it looked easy to miss, but inside it was packed with books from floor to ceiling. There is something special about finding a bookstore by accident. I spent a long time wandering through the shelves, picking up books I couldn't read and convincing myself that I absolutely needed books I probably didn't need.



That evening, I joined the crowd to watch the World Cup final. Every big play brought cheers, groans, and dramatic reactions from complete strangers. It reminded me how sports can bring together people who otherwise have nothing in common. 



Food has also become one of my favorite parts of this trip. This week I had one of the best Wiener Schnitzels I've ever eaten. The breading was perfectly crispy, and the meat was tender. I asked the waiter how big the portion was; he said, "It's really big. Maybe a man can finish it if he were really hungry." But I am telling you now a woman can finish it too if she is really hungry.



Looking back, what I enjoyed most this week wasn't any famous landmark or tourist attraction. It was finding a coffee shop, discovering a hidden bookstore, sharing the excitement of a football match with strangers, and enjoying a great meal. These small experiences made Berlin feel less like a city I was visiting and more like a place I was beginning to know.

With only two weeks left, I'm excited to see what other surprises Berlin still has waiting for me.

Comments

Popular Posts