Dublin Diaries: Week 3
By week three, things in Dublin have started to feel genuinely second nature. I navigate the city without pulling up Google Maps, I know which buses and trains to take without thinking twice, and my daily routine of commuting to Maynooth, cooking my own meals, and handling all the little things that come with living somewhere has started to feel completely normal. It is a strange and satisfying feeling to realize that a place that was brand new to me just a few weeks ago now just feels like where I live.
The week itself was fairly straightforward, mostly work and everyday life, but that was actually nice in its own way. One highlight was heading out to pubs to watch the World Cup semifinals. There is something really fun about watching big matches in a pub setting because the energy in the room makes the game feel so much more exciting. A lot of people come out for it, and everyone is genuinely invested, which made for a great atmosphere both nights.
This past weekend I took a trip up to Belfast with some friends. The city was interesting to visit, though I would say it was more of a relaxed and easy trip than a jaw-dropping one. Getting there was simple, just about a two-hour train ride, and we found a cheap hostel, so the whole trip was very manageable and inexpensive. While we were there, we did a bus tour that took us along the northern coast of Ireland, including a stop at the Giant's Causeway. The landscape up there was stunning. Ireland is an incredibly green and scenic country, and seeing the coastline reinforced that. The Giant's Causeway in particular was unlike anything I have seen before, with its distinctive rock formations right at the edge of the sea.
Then on Sunday I got to watch the World Cup final, which was a great way to cap off the weekend. I arrived at the pub about an hour before kickoff, and it was already completely packed. The atmosphere was electric the whole match, and after Spain won, the streets outside got pretty chaotic, with crowds marching around and celebrating. It was one of those spontaneous moments that you would not have planned but end up being really glad you were there for.
Looking ahead, I am excited for my next two trips, London and then Paris. One thing I keep appreciating about being based in Europe is how relatively easy and affordable it is to get around. Between budget airlines like Ryanair, trains, and hostels, you can travel to a completely different country for not a lot of money or effort. It makes the whole experience feel even more open and exciting, and I cannot wait to see what the next few weekends have in store.

Comments
Post a Comment