Knowing yourself while abroad.


Going abroad definitely had a lot of challenges that I never would have considered to be an issue. I didn't realize how tired physically and socially the experience would be on me and I was met with a hard first two weeks. During the full week in Italy, I had to share a room with someone which meant I was already with another person. And as someone who values alone time, this took up a lot more of my energy than anticipated. Upon our return back to Austria, I realized that I needed to do activities that would help me recover my socialization burnout. 

I decided to just enjoy my own company while walking around the beautiful city center of Vienna, also known as the first district. Once again, the beautifully built buildings never ceased to amaze me. Despite the hot weather, walking the streets felt so soothing. I allowed myself to walk towards anything that peaked my interest and didn't care about the idea of getting lost.   



I entered into a lot of shops but also spent some time in an art museum. It gave me a space of creativity and solitude. A space with so much time to reflect on what my needs are and how to sustain myself. Time passed very slowly as I meditated on what I wanted out of this opportunity abroad and how to best take care of my body. I thought about my worries and how to manage the ones I had control over. I thought about everything I was grateful for and how I can continue appreciating everything I've been blessed with continuously. Despite my weakness in my physique, I was so thankful that my body carried me to see such wonderful places in the world. 



Our busy, packed schedule continued as usual but I found myself being more stable than before. I made sure to work through anxiety or fatigue and to enjoy every experience with love and patience. The weather was unpredictable and the sun hid behind the thick coats of rain clouds. But so much beauty remained. I loved walking in grand palaces and museums. It was unbelievable to think I could walk the same grounds as royalty. Not even the rain could prohibit me from walking all over the gardens and exploring the premises deeper. 

My time abroad allowed me to grow in my ability to listen to myself closely and feel comfortable in knowing how to accommodate my feelings. Making sure to give my body lots of rest and good food. Putting my mind to ease with hobbies like crafting or taking lots of pictures. And I satisfied my heart by immersing myself in the wondrous city of Vienna. 



Victoria Morales Vargas


Comments

Popular Posts