Week 1 - Lost in Translation


Paris…. How can I explain it?


Coming into my Global Seminar, my mind danced with the many possibilities and experiences the City of Lights had in store. How would the French respond to an American tourist? What secret treasures could be found in France? Do the French actually eat as many croissants as they’re stereotyped to be (the answer: sorta)? Additionally, this would be a time for me to study African American literature and short fiction writing, thus, I also wondered as to how my writing skills would improve.


Coming into Paris my first week, everything felt brand new. When you hear strangers walking past you speaking in French, it makes you truly realize that you’re the minority. I was surprised by how compact French apartments were. The apartment I stayed in had only the essentials: two beds, kitchenette, closet, bathroom and a desk with chairs. Making my way to the cafes, I was met unexpectedly by bees surrounding the pastries. Little did I know that Paris has around 400 ruches (beehives) hiding in rooftops around the city. Humorous now, but I could tell the Parisians thought I was strange dodging hungry bees. Generally, the first week I stood out as a lost tourist for sure. I was aware of my unsteady steps on the cobblestone streets and also my doe-eyed expression when met with French phrases. Immersing myself in a new culture I admit was overwhelming at times. However, I kept in mind that new experiences can be a way to grow and gain understanding.



Photos: Courtesy of Cydney Macon. Pictures from Montmarte class tour.




Comments

Popular Posts