Week 1: How to Get Lost in Dublin

     One of the first things I do whenever I get to a new city is wander. I find myself an interesting neighborhood to start in, turn off my map, and see what I can find. I believe there is no better way to get a feel for how a city is laid out, the architectural style of the city, and to find some hidden gems. That being said, I spent much of my first week in Dublin wandering and have found some of the best places to get lost if you ever find yourself in the city (or just outside of it) and in the mood for exploring.


1. Grafton St. (and surrounding areas)

    This one's a no brainer. Grafton St. and the surrounding area is a mecca of interesting shops and delicious restaurants just waiting to be explored. This is the first place a few of my friends and I went on the very first day and we have regularly gone back because there is so much to see and do. From the daily live music to the classic architecture, I have been endlessly entertained and fascinated by this part of the city. Some of my favorite places to eat or get a little sweet treat (Bambino's pizza and Murphy's ice cream are two absolute favs) are in this area and it's one of the first places I head when I find myself out on a walk.


2. St. Stephen's Green

    At the end of Grafton, you will find yourself outside the massive gates of St. Stephen's Green. A massive park that was established in the 1800's, this is the place to wander if you need a quiet respite from the hustle and bustle of Grafton or the perfect green space for a picnic. Within the park gates are ducks and swans swimming in the pond, massive flower beds, and some interesting art pieces. One tip is to bring a pair of headphones and try out the Ellen Reid Soundwalk that's posted at the entrance of the park.

3. Temple Bar

    If you happen to wander just a little north of the southeastern part of the city, you will quickly stumble upon Temple Bar. An incredibly lively neighborhood, this area has some of the coolest pubs in Dublin. As one of the most iconic places in Dublin, there is plenty to see, eat, and buy throughout the area. This week, a friend and I even went to see a movie at the Irish Film Institute located in Temple Bar. If you're looking for a place to listen to some nightly live music or hang out at a local pub, definitely wander through this area some time. 













4. Dun Laoghaire

    A short train ride south will bring you to Dun Laoghaire. A quaint town right on the Irish sea, Dun Laoghaire is a very enjoyable and picturesque place to wander. Sunday morning, a few friends and I found ourselves on the train down to the harbor at Dun Laoghaire to check out their Sunday market. With an adorable park, some very cute houses, and a beach walk, this is definitely an area to check out. 

Comments

Popular Posts