Just Landed- My First Week in Bali

    




    I have officially spent one week in Bali and have already learned much about myself, life, and culture. When I arrived here, I remember being in awe of everything I saw. While exiting the airport, I was shocked at the driving and traffic. There was chaos everywhere, yet there was order and respect for one another. I looked around the streets in disbelief that I had made it. The anticipation paid off and I was in Bali! I had my first night at the hotel and I had just met everyone. Everyone was as kind and excited as I was. I was exhausted, but so excited. The excitement allowed me to push through. Then, we had our first lessons and a tour of Sanur. Sanur is a beach town in Bali. It was still touristy, but there was less of a party scene. Sanur feels slow, which is just what I needed after landing in Bali. When we went into the markets, I had my first experience bargaining. I was shocked at the ladies’ persistence but understood this was how they made their money. I knew I was not fit for bargaining, but I had to do it for the experience. I tried to be kind and understanding, even though I was feeling uncomfortable and overwhelmed. Overall, it was a good experience in Sanur.




    After Sanur, I arrived in Bedulu, which was our home base. There I met my homestay family- The Sukastas. They spoke English, so it was easy to communicate with them. Upon arrival, we settled in and had dinner with our families. My homestay dad, Pak Putu, was very kind and started teaching us about Balinese culture. My family was amazing, but the homestay experience was an adjustment. The bathrooms were a little bit different than what I am used to, since the shower and the toilet are all in one space, meaning the bathroom is always wet. In addition, there were critters everywhere (especially ants and lizards). Despite the short period of discomfort, I found myself settling in very quickly.
    
Overall, my first full week in Bali was amazing and I already feel myself growing. I can't wait to learn more!


Here some more pics from my first week!











Comments

Popular Posts