Exploring More of Edinburgh, Scotland, during Studying Abroad Trip.

 I attended the global seminar program in Scotland with the group of all UCSD students, so this makes us quickly get closer to one another. We made plans to have dinner together at night and travel outside the city on weekends. On the first weekend, I went with my group to the Highland Games in Glasgow which is known for its legacy of trading and early well-known architecture art. The highland game was a type of annual festival in which they combined traditional games of the highland population with dancing shows and tent shops of jewelry and foods. There was a bit of rain happened in the middle of the game but it was alright because the rain in Scotland normally comes and goes. Before we leave, we also walked to the harbor near the highland game field, the house decorated with numerous flowers planted around is so beautiful and the weather is so nice at the pier. 

                                                                  
                                                                    Near  Glasgow Harbor

On the second week, we went on a bus tour to Loch Ness lake. The bus tour stopped at five popular highland destinations including Kilmahog, Loch Tulla, Glencoe Mountain,  Fort Augustus, Loch Ness lake, and we also got to Commando, and Canggu national park on the way back home. They are the most beautiful landscapes I have ever been to in my life. The endless green of majestic mountains, hills surrounded by the pure lake and rocks makes them become irresistibly eye-catching scenes. The tour guide was so helpful to introduce and present information about those spotlights during the ride throughout the whole adventure. This was the tour that I felt was worth paying for, because it lasted for 13 hours and the roads are far, unfamiliar, and hard to drive by ourselves even when we can rent a car. 


The third weekend I stayed in instead of going with my group to Ireland. Then I went to London on the fourth weekend to visit my friend who was joining a study abroad program there. London was so fascinating with a lot more modern blended with ancient architecture style. I liked all of them and would recommend you to go to these places in London: Tower of London, London Bridge, British Museum, National Gallery, Hyde park, Big Ben, London Eye, Buckingham palace, etc. 

                                                                            Loch Tulla

After coming back from London, I finished the last week by staying inside my dorm to work on the final exams and walking around the living area to purchase some souvenirs for friends and relatives. But this last week was also quite depressing for me because I had to pack everything and get homework done while checking in those places that I haven’t done. Searching for information about the classes and professors first might be helpful when you consider which option you should pick for studying abroad. In my situation, I just need to study one class out of the two and these two classes are so heavy with the weekly readings and writings. Therefore, having a good busy plan in those first few weeks is important so that you won’t miss any chance to visit any spectacular places at the last minute. 


                                                                        London Bridge

The most impressive thing that stayed in my mind was the fairy-tale beauty of the city. Some fairy places you can explore in this city are Edinburgh castle, the Holyrood Palace, and Saint Andrew Square. Walking along Princess street is also interesting because it is filled with the commercial center of shopping malls, popular brands, gardens, and restaurants. Some tips about living abroad I can give you are getting a sim card if you need and using public transportation. Although the weather often forecasts the rain about 80-100% in summer in Edinburgh, the rain just comes and goes. A very low chance that you had to use raincoat or umbrella even when bringing them will be a secure choice. Being comfortable to ask questions and facing any situations coming up is also necessary because some troubles will be always on the way and no one knows if you need help when you do not ask. 


                                                                 
                                                                      Buckingham Palace
                                                    

Thanks to the operation of study abroad office and the effort of working on scholarship and funding aid for this possible chance of one-month living abroad, I could acquire cultural and historical benefits along with theoretical study of courseworks. More than that, I got to have more friends and get along with new friends when staying far away from my family. I gained more confidence and courage in meeting new people, encountering issues, seeking help, and searching unknown things. This trip cultivated me with essential living skills, from internet research to practical exploration, which I can’t find in traditional classes. If I have another chance in my last year, I will definitely go on another trip abroad.


Loch Ness trip


London 


       

      Westminster Abbey









Comments

Popular Posts