Where did time go?

It feels like it was just yesterday that I was filling out my study abroad application. We arrived to Paris what seems to be yesterday and all of a sudden we’re halfway done with the program. It’s crazy to think that we have been here for over 2 weeks now. Thanks to CEA and the excursions planned out for us through class, we had the opportunity to visit historical cities such as Montmartre and Montparnasse, popular cafes like Cafe Plumeau and Cafe de Flor, Musee Branley, had the opportunity to watch two live Jazz concerts and just a few days ago we were invited to attend an opera. They had us busy since day 1 and although it was tiring at first, i’m grateful that they provided us with phenomenal opportunities.


Before coming to Paris, all I really was excited for was seeing the Eiffel Tower once I got here. I had always seen it in pictures and although I always said “One day i’ll go to Paris,” that dream seemed so far away… almost unattainable. The first week being here one of my classmates and I decided to go watch the sunset by the Eiffel Tower. When we got there I was in awe and I really couldn’t believe that we were there… sitting right in front of the tower. I decided to be touristy and took what seemed to be hundreds of pictures in front of it and checked of one of my things off my bucket list: having a boomerang taken of me while doing a cartwheel in front of the Eiffel Tower.


So far my favorite memory in Paris is unexpectedly watching a ballet at Palais Garnier. A couple of us went to check out the opera house and ended up coming out with ballet tickets to a 7pm showing of “La Sylphide”. The seats were not the greatest but it was definitely an unbelievable experience in a beautiful venue and 1) it was my first ballet ever 2) I had learned about this ballet in my dance history course back at UCSD.



Apart from visiting places through class, some of my classmates and I have used our free time to visit the Notre Dame Cathedral, Arc de Triomphe, the crypts, the popular GalerĂ­as Lafayette and the catacombs. Although I have had the chance to visit these major places, I still have several things left to do on my bucket list before leaving Paris. I would like to visit Versailles, the Louvre, the famous Laduree and Maison macaroons stores and actually go up the Eiffel Tower! I still have a little over 2 weeks left so I'll definitely be doing these things and more. I can't wait to see what else Paris has in store. For now, I will be flying to Barcelona for the weekend! As a Spanish speaker myself, I am excited to see how they use the beautiful Spanish language and get a little sneak peek of their culture. That is all for now! I will let you all know how my Barcelona trip went. Au Revoir!




Silvia Rodriguez

Comments

Popular Posts